Are you always sad about a loss?

When you hear about someone's death, specifically someone who is not a close immediate relation/friend, are you immediately sympathetic or do you reserve the emotion for people you actually knew? I don't mean expressing sympathy out of politeness. Do you actually feel anything or do you just go through the motions to be nice?

(I do have a reason for asking this, but not about any CM drama, someone I know IRL)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:17 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It depends on the situation.  If it is someone who is a detriment to society (like a criminal) then I think "good riddance!"  If it is a well know (and liked) celebrity then I feel a sense of loss.  If it is a tragic loss then I feel sadness.  The degree of sadness usually depends on how much I empathise with the situation.  For instance when little Jamie Bulger (sp?) was killed by those two boys, I cried my heart out.  I'll never forget it!  I was watching the news while feeding my first daughter who was only two months old (it was Valentine's day) when the story first broke.  I cried for that poor child and I cried for his parents.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I feel a brief fleeting feeling of sadness out of empathy for the loss of a human life. I feel it very much for children. With children I associate the loss as something so horrific that I don't want to feel in my own life that I feel more for the parents. I teach so I have had to deal with this, sadly, a few times. I don't feel as sad for older people who pass because I can see that they had a wonderful family who loved them, but I realize they (those who lost a loved one) grieve. With celebrities I do feel sadness, but then wonder [like with MJ] how so many have time to mob his home, the hospital and such. What about their "real" lives and responsibilities. Hope this helps you.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 8:21 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• no. if i were to allow myself sadness over every loss i hear/read about on a daily basis, i'd need antidepressants/antipsychotics to deal with it. i think its human nature to feel empathy, but to actually know empathy is to be intimately involved in the situation.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:22 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• If the person was not close to me I just feel that them dying is just the final phase of our life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• no. from what i remember there are like 7 appropriate responses in regards to feelings when it comes to death. happiness is even one of them. my feelings at each funeral changed with my relationship to the person who died, some were relief, guilt, sadness, and happiness. it really all depended on the situations that brought death and the person's own relationship with death and dying.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:33 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• No... Right now my Great Uncle has brain cancer. And while it breaks my heart that he is sick, and that he is going to die from it... I love my uncle. BUT, I love him enough to understand that I would rather see him pass and be at peace rather than be here and be in pain... I will miss him and I will grieve... But I will be happy that he is no longer suffering, that he is not in pain and that I know he is in a place of peace...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:07 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• not at all. alot of the time i dont care about the people close to me dying either. the only people i really care about are my parents, kid(s), brothers,husband and grandparents.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 9:42 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• See, God gifted me with the spiritual gift of empathy, so I always feel for others greatly. He uses that gift to call me as an intercessor. So, whether I know someone or not, I always feel bad for them,to have lost a loved one. If I know that person was a Christian,and is now in Heaven, it's not them I feel for, it's the family that is missing them,and I will pray for them. If I don't know whether the person is a Christian or not, I feel bad for them,as well as their family. And, always pray that their death will draw the ones not saved closer to God. But, yeah, I always feel really bad for anyone,it's just how God made me,and I'm glad I'm this way.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 10:16 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I feel sad when life comes to an end for any living creature. Life is precious to me.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 10:27 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I feel sad and sometimes I cry when I hear about a death or major injury...they dont have to be related or anything like that.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:05 AM on Aug. 11, 2009