Will I be a successful pumper this time around?

I tried to occasionally pump with my first son 8 years ago. I could never get more than an ounce and that amount was a miracle. This time around I will be in school full time and my boyfriend has told me he would love to do a bottle on occasion. I am curious if pumping will work better for me this time around though. I have never been a leaky girl, I breastfed my son for 6 months and never once has to wear a breast pad. I never had even a drip soak through my shirt. When I was nursing before, I attributed my lack of pumping success mostly to the pump I was using. It was a cheapy, but this time around I will be working with something better. Do you think it's possible to become a successful pumper even after my past experiences?

kitten_shuga

Asked by kitten_shuga at 8:43 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it's possible. My experiences with pumps have never been exceptional, either with a handheld battery one, or a hospital grade, but that's just me. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 8:55 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Absolutely! With my DD 3 years ago, pumping sucked. I could never get more than an ounce. Not with a manual pump or an electric. With my son... we got a more expensive electric pump and it was amazing. I always got like 5 ounces from each side. I highly suggest his pump too.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3011119 =)

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 9:22 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I had OVER supply issues with my first and just did not respond to a pump and could never get more then a few drops at a time with a rented hospital grade Medela pump. I nursed him for 18 months and then 5 months later started nursing #2 at birth. I had the same type of pump and same over supply issue with #2 and was able to pump a ton of milk for her. I have no idea what the difference was, but I pumped more then enough while I was at work and actually donated some of the milk. It is possible especially if you get a better pump. There are groups on here and tips at www.kellymom.com for pumping moms so you might want to check them out before hand.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Every experience is different. Remember, however that normal pump output is only .5-2 ounces per session. And baby only needs an ounce per hour of seperation, anything more is overfeeding. A good pump will help a lot though. I highly recommend Medela pumps, especailly the pump in style. i have heard the freestyle is amazing too.
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 12:46 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• All I can say is I had an awful AWFUL time pumping my daughter only breastfeeds she doesn't even know what a bottle is she gags on them if I try giving her one other than that it is a toy to her. I had a horrible time pumping and early on just gave up on the whole thing but I am pretty sure if you keep up with it and keep trying you could get it but don't be discouraged if you cant :) Just think you will get so much one on one time with your next baby if your only nursing I do with my daughter.
    HeidilovesNyla

Answer by HeidilovesNyla at 1:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• The normal average pumping output is 1/2 - 2 ounces (from BOTH breasts) so one ounce is great. A better pump will usually make a difference. It also helps to pump first thing in the morning when your supply is at its peak. You can pump on one side while nursing on the other.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 1:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2009