Moms who's sisters also have children; do you ever feel in competition with her in the mothering department?

Lots of sister stay competetive over EVERYTHING well into their adult years - I'm just wondering if anyone here still feels in competition with their sisters over parenting skills - or compare themselves to them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• H*ll no lol. Me and my older sister are polar opposites, she yells and screams and hits her kids, I dont. She has had 2 taken away and placed in foster care, she still has the youngest 2 who I have been trying to gain custody of for 2 years.
    Trotterswife

Answer by Trotterswife at 9:11 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I most definitely do internally. We are really good sisters and I don't understand her mothering techinique sometimes. But I've come to the realization that we want our children raised differently. She's more into my mom's attitude of listen right now and having the child do as I say type of attitude. Whereas I believe in letting a child think. I wish to train my children to be able to think and "talk back" so to say. I don't agree with the whole attitude of "because I said so" and I seldom use that stance. They need to develop cognitive reasoning and independent thinking to become better people. I tell my kids they need to be smart and think. I think she teaches her kids to do as I say. I don't know who's right since our kids have no hit their teenage years yet. I might regret giving my kids a voice and the ability to think on their own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• oh handsdown.. but im no were near where she is, is has very independt kids and sometime well mannered, she also spends all her time with them, my hubby and i seem more like aunts and uncles with our two... (well compared to her anyway).. but at an early age she had to grow up faster than i did, so she knows more about the ropes than i do.. so yes everyday mama.. everyday.. OH and it doesnt help our mom agging it on..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 9:21 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I dont have any sisters, but I do have sisters in law. I dont think I am a better mother than either one of them, but I do have more experience. I think its easy to judge our familys mothering skills and parenting techniques when we havent yet walked their shoes. One of my sil and I get along great and she calls me when she has a question. I spend a lot of time encouraging her. My other sil has a totally different approach to parenting and while I dont think shes wrong, I dont think its right for me. I think shes perfectly capable of deciding whats okay for her family and her kids and I trust her judgment, but she seems to think that shes the authority on whats right and wrong though she would never admit it. I think she spends a lot of time judging MY parenting and looking for flaws in my kids so she can feel better about her techniques. It drives a wedge in between us because I dont desire to judge her. I really dont.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:48 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I did a little when my twins were little. But that was my doing not hers. My twins have developmental delays and her daughter is one year younger. Sarah is exceptionally bright, especially in reading and language arts. My dd's didn't talk until they were 5. I struggled with jealousy for years. It wasn't until I made peace with the fact of who my kids are that I was able to truly enjoy her's.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:14 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My mother is always comparing my sons with my brother's sons. They are almost the same age. Fortunately for me, mine have the best comments from my mom. But, my thoughts are that each kids are different. It's not because my brother's son started to talk at only 3 and half years old that make my brother and my sister-in-law bad parents. You see what I mean? So I'm trying to reduce more as possible any conversation regarding this topic. Our family make us be competitive and pretty sure that my brother is starting to hate our mom just because of that little detail. That's very sad.
    Mirianne

Answer by Mirianne at 12:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2009