Even when the toilet has been scrubbed, it still smells really bad. It's just been lately. Is there anything to take that away?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I would put a little bleach in it and let it sit for awhile. Also, you can buy tablets that drop in the back of the bowl (not all of them turn your water blue) that you can put in that will help keep it clean and help keep it smelling better.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:19 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Do you have a septic tank?

Answer by louise2 at 9:20 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Take an old toothbrush, along with cleaning solution, and get at the screw thingies that attach the lid to the toilet base. Remove the seat from the toilet base so that you can get to all the parts- the thing that the lid rotates on is hard to clean, I think, so I get my rag and brush right in there. Another possibility is under the rim, a brush doesn't get everything off, so I use a cloth and disinfectant/cleaner and rub that until the cloth comes out clean. And wash the lid cover. (You can tell I've had exactly the same problem! LOL! - but the toilet doesn't have a bad smell anymore.) A product that I am just trying is some kind of get thing that comes with a tube for applying, and you stick it right under the rim. It doesn't do much for cleaning, but it smells good. One more suggestion is to toss a denture tablet in every night. This is a trick I read about a while back and bought some cheap denture tablets.

Answer by Bmat at 9:23 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• It's usually the simplest things so I'll just ask. Are you making sure to scrub the outside of the bowl? How about way up under the rim? Do you have a youngish male with bad aim using that thing?
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:24 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• " gel " thing, sorry.

Fistandantalus has a very good point. I forgot about the outside of the toilet, it should be cleaned every time you clean the bathroom. Also wash down the walls especially near the toilet, and take that old toothbrush that I mentioned and get around the base of the toilet.

Answer by Bmat at 10:08 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Well, when we moved into the house that we are living in now, there was this terrible smell coming from the toilet...and we just couldn't figure it out. I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed. It was so gross. Finally the realtor came by and was looking around to make sure everything was okay, and she noticed that the toilet was wobbly (like when you sit on it, it kind of leans to one side) Well, come to find out the smell was coming from underneath the toilet. It was so frigging gross. Apparently something had happened and a bolt got loose and there was a crack somewhere in the pipe underneath the toilet that was causing the smell. It had to be replaced. So, my only suggestion, after you do a deep cleaning, is, is your toilet wobbly??

SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 11:11 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Get rid of you husband.. that could be the reason..lol Just kidding use bleach to clean the toilet.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 1:55 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• If you have men/boys..hit the outside of it and the wall behind it. Their whiz gets everywhere. It is gross, I also use those drop in tabs that keep the bown clean and smelling good.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:37 AM on Aug. 12, 2009