Am I the only "regular" Mom out there?

From CM it seems there are so many SuperMoms. I am just a regular Mom. My kids eat healthy and junk in moderation. I have on occasion doled out punishment that was too harsh for the crime. My kids go to public school and they are average athletes with average grades. I have my moments of sheer brilliance in parenting, but for the most part I am taking it as it comes. I drive an SUV and am politically moderate. I have no idea what others put in their grocery carts, which of my neighbors vax or who was FF or BF in my kids classes. I don't send nuts to school because I was asked not to and never thought of the validity behind it. Am I the only one? Are you regular? What makes you regular?

wildboyz1994

Asked by wildboyz1994 at 9:24 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am a VERY normal mom. There were times I yelled with glee over my kids and times I had to yell over my kids. I've dished out punishment that may have been too harsh (in retrospect) and I've had time that I let them by with too much. I had rules in my house, I found old pizza behind my teenagers bed, I dealt with PTA, school district BS, and struggled to balance teaching my kids to be individuals and watching as they tried to fit in. I've spent countless hours at football games, band practices, ROTC functions and everything else my kids decided to be involved in. I am SOOOO normal. I don't believe in time-out for unruly teenagers, I don't believe in giving a child everything they want. I believe in being a parent, not a friend. We raised men in our house, and that took very normal (and sometimes inventive) means to get it done.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:45 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• No, you live in apathetic misery. :) Welcome to America.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

What about my life makes me apathetic? Being a political moderate or not worrying about what my neighbors are doing, but rather raising my own kids? Being Moderate is not apathetic, its what I think and believe. But thanks for your honesty- no- you are not regular. And for the record, no misery here, happy as can be!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:31 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• i dont have a clue who my kids play with at school, we live out in BFE on a dirt road, i drive a jeep it was all we could afford after the ol PT went down, we have a tractor, i hate getting dirty, i hate the heat, i sneak a smoke when the kids go to bed, i wake up everyday thinking "what madness will it be today kids" my boys are average youngins, they are awesome in there own way and thats what i love, yes ive been married once before who hasnt around where i come from.. i can get mean and ugly but im nice sometimes to.. we live everyday for that day and make plans for the future that may or may not ever happen.. we live laugh love
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 9:31 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I was a normal Mom and am a normal grandma

Answer by louise2 at 9:31 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• i say im reg.. not decaf by no means.. we enjoy what we have and what we hope we will have later, no im not that super mom in school who is there everyday and knows every kid by name and there parents.. but i get done what has to be and my kids are what i think s half my world, no not all of it cause i work full time and have a hubby who we like to do things with just us.. reg yes i am..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 9:34 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• BTW- The public school thing, we have good ones here, nothing against HS or Private, I just meant our schools are great, we are lucky to have no specific educational need so we go to public school. You can be regular and BF, No VAX, HS... my intention was not to say what I don't do is irregular, I am just not the SuperMom.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:41 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Ha ha...I love it. Yeah, Im regular too. I have a couple of things that I am passionate about, but there are SO many that just arent all that important to me and I dont have the time to give much thought to...such as...what others put in their grocery cart and if my tax dollars are paying for it, I dont concern myself much with what others are doing. I dont care for mediocre in anyway, but I generally just mind my own business. My kids are not average though. They are called to great and wonderful things and are called to be influencers. I shun mediocrity in anyway, but as far as just general lifestyle, yes, I am regular. I also drive an SUV and live in an average home, my kids are average athletes too. We do it because we like it not because we are good at it. I think the problem with people NOT wanting to be average is that they equate it with unimportant or medicre. Everyone wants to be releveant!!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:41 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Oh, my kids are honor students and have been captains of their teams before- to me that is not a superstar- a superstar is the one that can do no wrong. I agree that regular does not have to mean sub-par.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:43 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Hmm, normal. Yep. Stay at home mom with three gorgeous girls who are 2, 4 & 6. Love my hubby even though he drives me mad. Or maybe because he drives me mad. He is a master/journeyman plumber and works on average 60/hrs per week. I do daycare at home and on the side I am a distributor for Slumber Parties. I have crazy fabulous kids that get punished and praised in equal fervor. We're from small town Iowa. I know a few of my daughter's friends at school. (Public) and I try to help out with class parties and field trips when I can. We like bon fires, hanging out with family and good friends. Not a ton of extras around here, but no one goes with out and the monsters are even a little spoiled but they are loving and wonderful and that's what counts. They use their manners mostly but know how to push Mommy's buttons. They have Daddy wrapped around their fingers and life is good. I have every thing I ever wanted!
    MommyLove531

Answer by MommyLove531 at 10:00 AM on Aug. 11, 2009