How often do you give your child CANDY? (son-age 4)

The other mothers I know here in my neighborhood they all just hand their kids, popsicles,icecream, hershey's chocalate bars and ring pops, candy goo, candy necklaces. Then Im like the only mom there who is telling her kids NO, and WAIT till after dinner. Im just curious, am i the only mom who says no most of the time to candy?

MommyTurtle1985

Asked by MommyTurtle1985 at 9:42 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• not very often. just for birthday's and special treats.

popsicles and freezies are an everyday in the summer of course, and icecream sometimes for dessert (because daddy has to have some too lol )

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:45 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• i don't say no all the time to snacks but to candy, she gets that about 3 or 4 times a week, except for when she goes on the potty in that case 1 m&m or 3 m&m's depending on what she did. but at the same time i don't consider a popsicle candy and in the summer she usually gets one of those every other day or so, but i get the ones that are all fruit juice or slushie type things that are made from real fruits so i don't see it as bad as a straight icecream one.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:48 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Popcicles are an everyday treat during the summer, ice cream is treat that we get in the summer too but candy is very rare. I did not grow up eating candy so I dont like it for my kids. My husband on the other hand was allowed to have all the candy he wanted and he still craves hard candy. I make him keep it in his truck and take it to work. My in laws were bad to let my kids have candy and I asked politely for them to NOT do it. I dont care for dropping hard earned money at the dentist. Once in a while, we will allow gum, or something that doesnt stick to the teeth. I dont like hard candy or anything gooey. I dont mind the candy bracelets or necklaces and ONLY at the ballpark can they have ringpops. Everything has a time and a place and just because they wake up in the morning doesnt entitle them to treats. JMO
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:55 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I rarely give out candy...I'd rather give my child a homemade dessert(like cake or cookies) than store bought processed candy...but I still try to limit sugar in general.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 12:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My son does not get candy very often. He knows what it is, but if he does get any, I try to eat most of it myself and share a bite with him.

I am lucky because at one point my son would each green peas like popcorn while watching tv lol
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 1:19 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I don't let my son have a lot of candy. He does eat a TON of popsicles though a day (during the summer). We spend a lot of time outside. Now he doesn't get to replace meals with a popsicle, of course and he has to eat before getting one. I get the sugar free ones though b/c I don't like him to have that much sugar.
    chel1195

Answer by chel1195 at 2:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Candy is a special treat in our house. Our daughter can have a few m&m's if she eats her dinner. My daughter will be 4 in the Fall. Now she does love her cookies but I try to buy things like Fig Newtons, graham crackers, teddy grahams ect. I wish I could get her to eat a popsicle...she doesn't like anything cold though.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 4:03 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• once every 2-3 months for store-bought candies. we make cookies at home, and those we have probably 3 times a week.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 4:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2009