When to start exercising after c-section?

I had a c-section in March of 2008. I thought it was ok to excersise but everytime i do i feel like my insision is going to re-open or something. I know I should expect to feel sore, but when I do crunches or lunges or any type of excersise it hurts so bad afterward that it hurts to stand up straight. I even sneezed once and it took my breath away it hurt so bad! How long are you supposed to wait to do ab workouts and such? What kind of excersise could I do that will burn fat off my stomache but not work my muscles so bad that my insision hurts afterward?

a_bai04

Asked by a_bai04 at 9:53 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I agree with the others ... start by walking and even that will make your stomach muscles stronger. I had my c-section in June and started walking/jogging at 6 weeks. It's been 8 weeks now and I can jog for 5 minute intervals. I know how you feel I felt like that at first too, but it gets better as strengthen your pelvic area. I'm daring enough to try sit-ups just yet.....
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:51 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• When the doctor says you can. You can always walk

Answer by louise2 at 9:54 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I agree with Louise. I'd be guided by the doctor.

Answer by Bmat at 9:56 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• wait.... march 2008? or did you mean 2009? bc after a year and 5 months you should not have that much pain. but if you meant march 2009 (5 months pp), then you should be able to do walking, and other low impact exercises. i think i started working out (walking, riding exercise bike, and low impact aerobics) 6 weeks pp after both of my c-sections
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:19 PM on Aug. 11, 2009