How does racism affects you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• What about other immigrants or your problem is only against latinos?
    NOW THE IMMIGRANTS ARE TAKING OUR JOBS

Hey! It's not the IMMIGRANTS--it's the ILLEGAL Aliens. IMMIGRANTS are the ones who do it the right way. ILLEGAL ALIENS is the proper term for those who sneak into our country and they are commiting a crime every day they live here, and are usually guilty of other crimes as well, either through not knowing the laws or willfully disobeying them. (Driving without a driver's license and insurance is breaking the law. Driving drunk is breaking the law, using someone else's Social Security number to get a job is breaking the law...)
    I don't care what color people are or what language they speak, if they come here the legal way, welcome to America. If they sneak in the back door illegally, get the hell out until you decide to do it the right way.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:32 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My DH is black/African American, I am white/Caucasian. I usually ignore racist stuff.  But we do see/get some.

Answer by louise2 at 9:58 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Well, i'm White and a quarter Portuguese.. so I get mistaken for a lot of different things. Ive even been called a sp*c before!

I used to have a huge problem when I worked at the gas station that was located in a not so great area. Everytime i'd walk out of there, i'd have guys hooting and hollering saying "hey white girl, cmere!" and when i'd ignore them, they'd call me more racial names like "cracker" and "honkey". Luckily I havent been back there in over a year.

A couple months ago I had a black woman cut in front of me in the grocery store, usually I wouldnt care but that day the line was LONG and I wasnt willing to wait any extra time. So I said to her "excuse me, im in this line too". and she scoffed back at me "ALL YOU WHITE PEOPLE THINK YOU DESERVE TO HAVE EVERYTHING GIVEN TO YOU!! WHAT IS IT, IM BLACK?! HUH!?" It was absolutely ridiculous. I just shut up and stayed faaaar away from that crazy ass loon.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 9:59 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• 1 when you go to the store people talk spanish
    2 everything is in spanish
    3 you have to be black or spanish to get a free ride
    4 if your white you have to wait for everything
    5 slavery is OVER MOVE ON
    6 the attude of thinking they are better then us
    7 it's ok for spanish to have there flag if they love it there so damn much move back
    8 everytime you make a phone call spanish
    9 health care you have to be black or spanish to get it
    10 i thought this was AMERICA
    IF YOU CAN'T SPEAK ENGLISH GET THE HELL OUT
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Well I am constantly told that I don't know how it is to be a minority. Which is true. I do have the advantage of not being among a minority group. But not being something doesn't mean I am incapable of compassion for it... that constantly drives me nuts. People assume that if you aren't something you can't identify with any aspect of it. I have been treated unfairly and rudely, and I can identify with that as bad and causing a struggle. I also can identify with having struggles in my life and not wanting any slack cut to me for them- I am capable enough to take on anything. There is nothing we could to to make minorities less minor. The numbers are what they are. But that also doesn't mean that everyone of ANY group is uncaring or has bad intentions... That is reverse hatred right?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• anon "1 when you go to the store people talk spanish 2 everything is in spanish 3 you have to be black or spanish to get a free ride 4 if your white you have to wait for everything 5 slavery is OVER MOVE ON 6 the attude of thinking they are better then us 7 it's ok for spanish to have there flag if they love it there so damn much move back 8 everytime you make a phone call spanish 9 health care you have to be black or spanish to get it 10 i thought this was AMERICA IF YOU CAN'T SPEAK ENGLISH GET THE HELL OUT "

What about other immigrants or your problem is only against latinos?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• LOCK THE GATES THAT IS HOW I LOOK AT IT IM TIRED OF MY THAT IS WHAT IS WRONG NOW THE IMMIGRANTS ARE TAKING OUR JOBS AND DON'T TELL ME NO THERE NOT YES THEY ARE
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• When I'm in a store and people are talking in Spanish.....I smile and pretend that I know what they are saying. I'm dark so people are always trying to figure me out. Personally I LOVE the different cultures and the beauty people have, I think people from all cultures should keep their native language because that is their culture and I do think that if you choose to live in a different country like France then you should learn to speak French as a second language, and the same goes here if you live in a English speaking country, English should be spoken, but keep your first language active also.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 10:28 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• THANK YOU PAGAN MAMA AND BLESSED BE
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I am Irish/American Indian - but to the world I'm white. And because I am white, it is an almost automatic assumption that any question I have or desire to learn about other races is considered "racist". Instead of having my questions answered, or having a hand of friendship offered to me I get the, almost stock answer; "white people won't ever understand". I won't tell people where I was born and raised - because then I am deemed 'racist' because of sheer geographic affiliation - but what is the actual truth is that I went to school, was friends with, worshiped with and communed with a community that was almost 50% black. I get kinda tired of knowing that I personally have NEVER done anything unfair to anyone based on race - yet because of the color of my skin, it is assumed that at my roots I am racist. I have extended my hand - it's been slapped repeatedly.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:06 AM on Aug. 11, 2009