Am I over protective?

I can take it!

Went to a park yesterday with a large group of women and children other children just ran from one thing to the next while I expected my 3 year old to hold onto the stroller that baby brother was in.

A six year old that Ive never in my entire life met walked up and grabbed my one year old by the hand and started trying to walk with him I spoke up and said no he's okay she said I just wanted to show him around the park.Sorry but no.

My sil whos 17 wants to travel over an hour with my kids,while she has never spent any time with them I appreciate the fact she wants to be an aunt (as the rest of his family has nothing to do with them) however I think shes a lil young to be traveling an hour with my kids,ecsp considering shes totaled a car already.And I also do not want them out all day.

One more below..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• My 3 year old is not allowed to walk in the stores,he rides in the back of the cart where he knows not to stand.I thought this was great but Im beging to relize it means he expects to be carried when he has to go potty in the store.My dh had to drag him up to the bathroom because he was not giving into his demands with lots of judging paretns looking at him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I think it depends. If you dont feel comfortable with the 17 year old driving say so. Or say that you would rather them not be all day and suggest an activity closer to home that you can take them to or just invite her to be around. I think thats perfectly acceptable.

However I think people need to let their kids be kids. It aways makes me a little sad to see them mom who crowds behind her kid at the play structures to make sure he doesnt fall. Or the little kid learning to walk and the mother never lets go of his hand. They need room to grow and explore IMO. I would let the 3 year old run around and play. As long as they are in your sight and near enough to be able to see if a weird stranger comes up to (like yelling distance and all that) I think its fine. Your child needs to know that its ok to go around and play. I
    cinemagirl823

Answer by cinemagirl823 at 10:02 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• not sure what the park has to do with your sil, was she there. I think you were right for telling the older child no outright. You don't owe another child the gift of your child. There's no reason she couldn't have walked with you and your kids for excitement. Your sil is kind of young even if she's seen your kids often to go away with them for the day. 17yo are newly licensed, to many drivers on the road and too new of a driver till early twenties for my own comfort if she were related to me.
    Stick to your thoughts mommy!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I also think that its cute and great that the little boy wanted to help and play with your little boy. As long as he was gentle and not taking the baby way away from you. I would have smiled and then when they got a little far called out and said something to the effect that why dont they walk back towards this way (or point out something for them to explore that was near by). I dont think its overprotective to put limits on how far your children go but they need to learn to have fun with other kids.

I also get lots of bad looks when I let my 2 1/2 year old walk in the store. She knows that she can go a little down the isle (depending on the crowd situation) but if I ask her to stop of come back she has to. She isnt screaming or running around and is very well behaved. If she doesnt listen or acts up she gets put in the cart simple as that. I love how much this allows her to "be herself" cont
    cinemagirl823

Answer by cinemagirl823 at 10:08 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• IMO, Yes! Kids need freedom. If I can see my kids at the park, they are okay. When we show up I lay down the "rules" as to where they can and can't go and they follow that. If we are in a store and I can't reach them or they can't reach the buggy they are to far and they come back. In the yard they know where they can and can't play. Kids need to run and play and fall and trip... It's just a normal part of being a kid. BUT, you have to do what you are comfortable with. Although I think that over sheltering a child at a young age will create problems down the road!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:09 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• She LOVES to help me out with the shopping and knows if she goes and starts taking stuff off the shelves she gets a ride. The reason I dont let my 16 month old walk is cause she doesnt listen to me when i say come here and she gets into all the stuff haha. I get alot of compliments on how well behaved my little girl is too. But thats just my opinion haha.
    cinemagirl823

Answer by cinemagirl823 at 10:10 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• cinemagirl823:I totally let my kids run and play at the playground my 3 year old actually was begging me mommy come here,but I couldnt just leave my 1 year old as the toddler structor was close to the road.However what i was refering to is we were walking thru the parking lots on side walks near a pond traveling from the playground to a nother spot in the park,you think its wrong for me not to let them run in that situation?Water makes me nervous,and there was no siding or anything keeping them from falling in.And he would of came to a spot where he needed to walk across the road and I cant be sure he would stop,hes three!

Also the sil I did tell her she was too young to be traveling far w/ them but apparently she didnt think an hour was far,so I stood my ground there too,luckily i had dh's support there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• in stores my girls hold hands (youngest rides in cart)

parks they go and play - thats the reason for the park visit right? so they can play - not to have to stand by mommy and watch the other kids play.

I wouldn't let anyone I really didnt' trust to drive my kids around - there are only a few people who I do trust with my kids.

if a kid from the group I went with came over to take my kids to play then I would be ok, but a random kid not so much.

loosen up.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:14 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Anon 10:03 it does not have anything to do with my sil im just naming a few examples of why I feel I might be over protective.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• hypermamaz:
    As stated in one of my answers I didnt prevent him from playing alone I encouraged it even when he begged me to follow however leaving the play area I expect him to walk with me.

The sil thing,well Im just trying to get his family to step up and actually be part or my kids lives so I have to take this one with caustion as i dont want them not doing anything with them but I also want my kids safe.

Yeah it was some random kid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Aug. 11, 2009