What is the best dish washer soap to use, one that wont leave a white residue?

martinsmom2008

Asked by martinsmom2008 at 9:59 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Do you use a rinse aid? These seem to keep residue down. Other than that, it seems to me that name brand instead of store brands work best, but then we have very soft water.

Answer by Bmat at 10:02 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I just switched to electrasol pouches. my washer was horrible for white residue - even with the rinse aids. the electrasol works way better than the other stuff I was using (cascade)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:11 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I have always used the walmart brand and it worked just fine. Then recently we moved to a remodeled home and had to buy a new dishwasher. I got a fridigaire and I hate it. I figured that it would be more powerful than the older one we used in our other home, but its not. I was finding this white residue on everything. It made me SO mad. I put rinse aid in it and that helped, but I switched to the finish packs and that helped as well. With my older whirlpool dishwasher, I never had to use rinse aid and it was powerful enough to get everything clean. This one is not. Its a true testimony that they dont make things like they used to. I want to take this dishwasher back so badly, but I doubt that would work. So I am stuck buying brand name soap when I should not have to. Try the finish or the electrolux. Cascade might work okay too, but the store brand def. doesnt work on the newer models. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:11 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• okay, what hypermamz said...Thats what I switched to. It was electrasol packs with the finsh name on it. It does work, but I just didnt like the idea of spending more money.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:12 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• yea all that stuff is so expensive? So the other slot that i have on my dishwasher is for a rinse aid? we just moved into a house and i have never owned a dishwasher so that is why i am asking!! Does it matter what brand rinse aid i use?
    martinsmom2008

Answer by martinsmom2008 at 10:18 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• In my dishwasher the rinse aid goes in a little hole in the door near the detergent slots. You put it in every month or so. There are a couple detergent slots- one closes and one is just the slot. I put a little detergent in each. The one without a little door works first, then the door opens and the rest of the detergent is used.

Answer by Bmat at 10:31 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I used to use the name brand rinse aid but have gone to the store brand.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:25 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I agree with some of the pp's - I also use the electrasol pouches. No residue, no splashing or sloshing of the soap, it's always in the perfect amount (both good if / when you are teaching kids to help load the dishwasher). Plus, I like that when I'm looking at my cleaning supplies to see what I need at the store, there's no "well, it's about half full - do I need more dish washing detergent..." You can look at it and see, ok - I have 5 gel packs left, I need to buy some before the week is out...

Plus, no white residue and no need to use any rinse aides :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:32 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• When I lived in an apartment, we had a crappy dishwasher the only good soap to use was Cascade Liquid, and I always squirted a little Dawn dish soap over the top rack .
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 1:53 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• home made.
    ibeamomysomeday

Answer by ibeamomysomeday at 7:46 PM on Aug. 12, 2009