We just got a house, and the whole thing is wood floors. What is the best thing to use so i dont have to sweep and mop everyday? I know i still have to sweep and mop but i dont want to have to do it everyday. The kitchen is pretty big and being a mom it is so time consuming to have to sweep and mop ALL the time, any ideas?

martinsmom2008

Asked by martinsmom2008 at 10:03 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Home & Garden

• the swifter vac.... It works wonders
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 10:04 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• A Roomba.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 10:06 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• We used to have a very similar house. THe entire downstairs was wood and the kitchen was huge. I loved it but the floors stayed dusty and dirty no matter what I did. I have 4 kids, enough said. So I bought one of those swiffer vacuum sweepers at a yard sale. You can get them at walmart for about $20-$30 and they stay plugged in until you use it so that the battery can charge. It has a swiffer pad on the bottom and a small vacuum on it too and it gets up crumbs, dust, and any other small particle. You could use that everyday and only mop once a week. You empty out the cannister when youre done so theres no bag. I thought it was super handy. It wont vacuum big things such as paper, but it does get up crumbs of food. Also when you mom those floors, if they are REAL wood, dont use cleaners on them. Just use water or murphys oil. It leaves residue and takes your shine off. Just a suggestion. Good luck!!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:07 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I use vinegar and water once a week, sweep when necessary.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:14 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• whats a roomba? is it vac/? or is it a mop?
    martinsmom2008

Answer by martinsmom2008 at 10:14 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• a Roomba is a little robot vacuum that continually cleans--whether you're home or not! They are VERY expensive--and in my home I would need a dozen of them to keep up with my boys!!! LOL

You're better off with the Swiffer wet/dry vac or "old fashioned" Swiffer Wet Jet. I use different solutions for hardwood or tile and antibacterial in the kitchen and bathrooms.

Area rugs and runners are helpful at "masking" the need to mop daily--you'll still need to sweep regularly though! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:28 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• put a sign on your front and back doors that says " stocking feet please". and enforce it.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:00 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• we used a little stick vacuum. we had four dogs inside so we had to use it at least every other day for the dog hair! i saw one in walmart for $15 dollars the other day it was in the "dorm room gear"
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 11:11 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Don't wear shoes in the house. That will keep down on the dirt big time. I have a huge tile kitchen floor and wooden floors in my dining room and living room. I use the black & decker floor vac. It works soo much better than the swiffer vac. I also just got the shark steam mop. I love it!!! It gets sticky stuff off the floor without scrubbing and no harsh chemicals. I also use it on my wood floors.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:22 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• vacuum the floor, when you can't mop and sweep. Only use vinegar and water to clean your hard wood floors. Cleaners will strip the floor and make it look dull and can even damage the floor.
    ibeamomysomeday

Answer by ibeamomysomeday at 4:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2009