What to do with my child!!

My child is a 3 1/2 year old boy who is having trouble in Day-school. We have listening problems at home but i am able to correct them with a little force of voice or a caring spankn'. Well we just moved him schools and he is having listening and behaveral problems but I am not informed on what he does on a daily base unless its a write up. I dont want him to feel like he is a bad child because he is not. I am lost and not knowing what to do!!

pinklady09

Asked by pinklady09 at 10:09 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Are you able to visit the classroom and the teacher? You and the teacher need to agree on strategies that work for your son. He is at an age he is testing limits and needs to be reined in. Good Luck.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 1:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• i did and they want me to get him tested for ADD/ADHD. which is uncalled for and not going to happen. Due to them NOT wanting to deal with him and i have talked to his pediatrition and she too thinks that is just not the right answer as well.
    pinklady09

Answer by pinklady09 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I have a similar situation with my son. I was asked to have him evaluated when he was age 2.5 by the preschool. As first time parents we felt it would be irresponsible not to have him evaluated so we went through all the steps. The evaluation process was an emotional roller coaster. But in the end I am grateful that it was suggested because it meant that they cared enough to notice that things were not "normal" (whatever that is). What we found through the evaluation process is that he had some slight sensory issues (nothing to treat) and had a speech articulation delay- no other developmental issues. He still continues to be challenging at school, but now I can tell them with confidence (3 evaluations later) that it has nothing to do with a developmental delay and helps me to focus on the behavior itself. There is a game you can purchase to help him with the listening skills. It's called the pizza game. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Aug. 11, 2009