How many of your kids cry themselves to sleep EVERY night? I think my son has not cried himself to sleep maybe a handful of times in his 21 months here. Is this Common? it will take anywhere from 3 miuntes to 25 minutes to put himself to sleep everynight??

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 10:15 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well.. I totaly feel for you and I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's kids do that .. My 19 month.old twins still wine them selves to sleep every night and still wake up crying 2 or 3 times in the middle of the night. If I just let them cry , they will go for over an hour . I have a viewing monitor so I can see that nothing is wrong w/ them . They are dry and full and have a cup of water and a binky. It's a drag because when you go in , they will stop crying.
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 11:30 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• At that age my son was still crying to sleep.And then he discovered he could just get up and play until he fell asleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• mine never cried too often. Usually it was jsut when she was overly tired, or spoiled by gradma who let her stay up waaay to late. She's 2, but we've always put her to bed when tired but not asleep, so she learned pretty early how to go to sleep on her own. Some nights I Have to put her to bed and let her cry and some nights she will tell me it's bedtime and have me put her to bed w/o any fuss.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• my son never cried himself to sleep. I'd let him cry in the beginning when I first tried to get him to sleep in his own room (roughly 6 months??), but I'd go in every so often and calm him down. He used a binkie then. ANd now he sleeps with blankies (which seems to help him) something to comfort him. Good luck.
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 10:44 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• OP: We have a very good bedtime routine for him and he walks with me hand in hand to lay down, we read books but once I lay him down he stands up and crys for me and its starts there. We just recently moved up his bedtime because he was crying up to 35 minutes and thought he was just not tired but no matter what time the bedtime it is, he still crys
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:46 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Why do you let him? That seems excessive. I would have him evaluated for sensory issues.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I have NEVER let my kids cry themselves to sleep! We co-sleep and I still rock my 2yo to sleep every night. (My 3yo put's himself down). I think it's more important that they feel safe than that they go to sleep on their own. Chances are he isn't ready to put himself to sleep yet. When he is, you will know. Until them why push it? You can always rock him and then put him in his bed once asleep right? Why make him suffer? I never saw an good reason for all that!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:15 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• That is NOT normal. What do you mean by in his 21 months here? Is he 21 months old or is he adopted, foster, did you move?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• OP again. He had HORRIBLE colic for 5 months - 14 hours a day. by 8 months old he was waking up 8 times a night because he never learned to self sooth - I tried and tried comforting him with pats on the back or rubbing him or rocking him or co sleeping, he finds no comfort from that. I try SO Hard to make him feel safe and I don't know what to do anymore. I am not trying to push him to put himself to sleep. He does not get comfort from anything?? I have no idea why!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:22 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• PO he's 21 months old.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:23 AM on Aug. 11, 2009