How can I cut my living expenses in half so I can stay home?

iteebitsmom

Asked by iteebitsmom at 10:27 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• It depends on what kind of expenses your family has and what you are willing to do without. Canceling your cable subscription is a huge money saver. Cut your entertainment budget. Dine out less or not at all. Cook from scratch rather than buying processed foods (it's healthier too). Shop sales, buy in bulk and cut coupons.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• We closed up rooms when the AC or heat was needed so we didn't spend money cooling or heating those rooms. I grew and canned or froze our own vegetables and fruits. We had only one car. I carpooled with other moms when grocery shopping. I based our weekly meals on what was on special that week. I had soup a lot- i used leftovers and whatever was in the refrigerator, cheap and nutritious. This was all hard to do, but it did keep our expenses down when we didn't have much money. These days we have two cars, no garden (I work part time). We still keep rooms closed in the winter and when the AC is on.

Answer by Bmat at 11:01 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Stop eating out, modify or delete cable, internet, cell phone, phone, take your garbage to the dump instead of pickup, raise your own food, go to upick fields for food, use coupons, use less meat, plan a bean meal at least once a week, cut out newspaper and magazines. Read The Tightwad's Gazette It is pretty old, but still has good ideas.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• First of all, it depends on what kind of bills you pay right now. To cut out a lot of extra expenses, cut off cable and internet (unless you can't live without it lol). If you have a cell phone, cut off the house phone. To save electricity, invest in the energy saving bulbs, it really does save a few bucks, and they last a LONG time. We don't use our 3rd bedroom for anything but storage, so we close the AC vent and cover it up in there. Unplug or turn off everything electric that's not in use. To save water: take baths instead of showers. Do dishes by hand. Put bricks in the toilet and flush every other time for pee. To cut your grocery bill: don't buy the extras like pop and candy, alcohol, etc. Only buy what you really need. And instead of buying boxed dinners, make them yourself. It's easier than you'd think.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:54 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Oh yeah, buying fruits/veggies from farmstands are an awesome way to save money. You don't have to pay those stupid premiums for shipping, etc. We got lucky on that end. My mom's bf has a garden, and he gives us free corn, okra, and tomatoes.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:55 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• We stop using cell phones. My dh has his work cell phone. I use a prepaid only for emergencies. We are saving more than $1.000.00 a year.

Look for a cheaper internet/cable/phone provider we just switch plans and we are saving $600.00 a year.

No more trips for two years to pay in full our credit cards.

And overall we carry cash. We don't use our credit cards anymore.

bringin

Answer by bringin at 11:56 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Only buy what you need. Buy second had. Use Freecycle.

Here is an article that I wrote on saving money at the grocery store: http://www.ehow.com/how_5223945_save-even-money-grocery-store.html

Answer by rkoloms at 12:05 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• rkolms. thank you for the article.
    bringin

Answer by bringin at 12:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Have you added up how much you spend working in regards to: fuel/commuting expenses, clothing expenses, daycare, business lunches, quick suppers, etc? Call you cable provider and ask to speak to their retention department, ask them if there are any pricing deals they can offer you in order to keep you as a customer. Cut your cell phone(s), use a prepaid for emergencies. Put your heat/ac on a timer so it only runs when you're home, a timer on your hot water heater also so it's not running all night - on the same note, use fans instead of ac when possible. We use Redbox videos and pop popcorn at home instead of going out to the movies. Start trying to live on just your dh's paycheck now and put yours in the bank for savings - try it for 6 months and see how it goes. Good luck.

Answer by missanc at 3:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• We stopped eating out. That helped out A LOT. We have cut back on many things, we only buy things we NEED. I also started working from home to make some extra money. I'd love to tell you more about our great team if you're interested.
    Erika

Visit my website:

www.4MyFamilyandMe.com

mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 5:17 PM on Aug. 11, 2009