When do they start feeding themselves efficiently?

My son is 12 months old. He will put food in his mouth using his hands and at daycare (he goes one or two days a week) he eats his food by himself. At home it seems as though he eats with his fingers but not with utensils and I' m afraid he isn't getting enough food.

armywife1229

Asked by armywife1229 at 10:27 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kids were feeding themselves fine by 12 months, not using utensils mind you but they were doing fine with their hands even if it was messy. I always know if they get enough because they stop eating and start playing with it or throwing it on the floor. If they spread it around too thin I would usually scoop it back up (and off their lap lol) or give them some more. Keep in mind toddlers have varried eating patterns. They might eat a ton one day and almost nothing the next. Its frusterating but its the norm. I started teaching my kids to say all done as soon as they started eating meals and to hand me their plate if they didnt want any more. Takes a long time but it helps if you ask them if they are done. My guess if he was still hungry he would fuss about it. My 16 month old always tries to stand up in her booster seat when she doesnt want anymore. Talk to your doc to make sure he is growing ok if it will help :D
    cinemagirl823

Answer by cinemagirl823 at 10:38 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Utensils don't make a difference if they are getting enough food. It's how much makes it into their mouths. LOL

Mine..finger feeding...were pretty efficient at 9 months. At 11 months we started giving them a fork. We started the spoon at 18 months (forks are easier where spoons take a bit more finesse.)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:07 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• yeah i agree, we started with both from the get go but if they didnt use it no biggie. If they tried to use it we would cheer and say what a big girl that sort of thing. My 16 month old can use a spoon and a fork but alot of times doesnt because she cannot get the food fast enough with them. lol. I ask her if she can use it but i dont force her to. by 2 years we were asking them to try to use it all the time.
    cinemagirl823

Answer by cinemagirl823 at 11:28 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• at every meal give the utensils - sometimes they use them and sometimes they don't.

my 3 year old still prefers to use her fingers (at least now she picks things up and puts it on her fork lol )

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:32 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• my son uses a fork and a spoon pretty good...hes 2 it takes time...
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 11:46 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My Hubby still has problems with utensils!! LOL

Seriously, my 3 year old also still prefers to use his fingers half the time. If you feel like he's not getting enough food try offering a few more healthy snacks during the day. I never thought my daughter was getting enough food either, but she was gaining weight and growing fine!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2009