my son wants NO part of his bottle anymore?

My 7 month old son wants no part of his bottle except when he asleep at night. During the day he pushes it away and won't drink it. I might get him to only drink an ounce or two. And even at night he only drinks 2 6 oz bottles. I've tried sippy cups but he hasn't gotten the hang of it yet. He eats his baby food good i'm just concerned cause his doctor says he should drink at least 24-36oz a day. and that should be his main source of nutrition still. Just wondering if this happened to anyone or if anyone has any idea how to get him to wanna drink more.

kelka24

Asked by kelka24 at 10:44 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• thats wonderful and you will have an easier time weanign him!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• This is a good thing... My son was about this age (a lil younger actually) when I took his bottle during the day.... What kind of sippy cups have you tried? Maybe you just need a softer kind. I tried quite a few sippy cups before I found what worked best with my son. He liked the nobys, they have a soft nipple. The cups with the straws were great for a long time, but then he started chewing the straws, and he couldn't lay down with these. I'd try giving him a sippy cup, and keep changing brands until you find the nipple that's easy for him.... I promise you he'll get it
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 10:49 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Try a straw cup. Maybe that'll be easier on him. Or help him drink out of a regular cup. If he needs more, ask the doctor about vitamins. It could just be that he wnats to be a big boy and not use the bottle, or he could be teething and it bothers him but by the end of the day he's really thursty so willing to take some. Is the bottle warm? Maybe try serving it cooler that might help the gums.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• my son did the same thing. has he recently become more mobile? my son was crawling so much that he got too busy with his surroundings than worrying about eating. even now if there's too much going on around him, he doesnt eat much. i'd try feeding him wheres theres little to no distractions if possible. but i'd definitely keep working on the sippy cup thing. that way you have an easier time weaning him. GL!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 11:08 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• This could easily be a phase. He could be teething or about to go through a growth spurt. Call your pediatrician, or ask the nurse, they will let you know what they think is best for your kiddo to get proper nutrition. That is the most important thing.
    iteebitsmom

Answer by iteebitsmom at 11:09 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Try the advent sippy cup. It is great for begginers. It has a long rubber spout that is easy to learn how to drink out of. I must have tried 5 or 6 diff. cups until I found the right one they could latch on to. Good luck:)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 11:17 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Concentrate on getting rid of the bottle and using a cup of some sort.

Either cut back on the baby food or start introducing REAL food for his nutrition.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• That is awesome. My son used a sippy cup at 6 months and we just put breastmilk in it.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Keep trying with the sippy cup or a cup w/ a straw. Both will take some time to get used but once he figures it out, he'll be an old pro.
    PB_J

Answer by PB_J at 11:42 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• switch to a silicone top nuby sippy cup, and kiss the bottles goodbye. It is not too early to start teaching him to drink from a regular cup. Give him one in the bathtub to practice with.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 12:22 PM on Aug. 11, 2009