My 11month old eating habits are horibble now

My son was so good around 9months old about eating brakfast,lunch, & dinner now all he want is a bottle & we need to takethem away soon, but he doesn't want any food really? what should we try to do?

ashnbra1

Asked by ashnbra1 at 10:47 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Thats a tough one. I would suggest not giving him a bottle around or at meal times. Give him food. He may fuss about it and not eat it but he will learn that he needs to eat if thats all he is given. Might sound harsh but it works haha. Start phasing out the daytime bottles and just have them around nap and bed time.

Also how long has this been going on? I know my DDs if they were sick (or starting to get sick) wouldnt want food just the bottle. Also if they were cutting teeth. I always tried to check to see if thats what was going on and if it was I would be a little lax and give them a bottle more often. My 16 month old had a tough time with teeth for a while and I went back to more bottles during the day till they came through (she had like 3 molars come in at once). I thought she had regressed a bit but its what she needed.
    cinemagirl823

Answer by cinemagirl823 at 10:53 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My son is going to be three soon- and he still does this. He eats when he wants to and doesn't when he's not hungry. I try and make sure he eats lots of fruit and veggie snacks so he won't go hungry or get sick. Have you tried baby cereal? Even gerber? I know he's 9 months old, but those might work. Something is better than nothing!
    SinCitiChick

Answer by SinCitiChick at 10:55 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Oh- about the bottle. They way I got my son to let go of the bottle, is the same way people potty train. The hubby and I made a huge deal about us having cups and my son still having a bottle. He understood and wanted to have a cup too- next thing you know, he just forgot about the bottle and went on to his sippie cup. It was really easy for us. But every child is different.
    SinCitiChick

Answer by SinCitiChick at 10:58 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Just because you're taking away the bottle, doesn't mean you have to take him off formula. You can put it in a sippy or straw cup just as well.

Get rid of the bottles, keep the formula so he maintains his nutrition and work on his eating habits. Once he is eating a fairly balanced diet, then switch to milk (if that is what you are going to do).

Offer his meals at the table with a cup of formula (or whatever he is drinking...it could be breastmilk, I realize). If he eats...fine. If not, then you know he has his liquid nutrition for now, but no other FOOD until the next meal.

Once he's a little older you can kind of force the issue a bit more (less liquid so he's more hungry, etc) but he's still technically an infant.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:17 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• This is a phase, and it will pass. Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and he will come around

This is a great time to introduce a sippy cup with water.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:39 AM on Aug. 11, 2009