Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does a SAHM file a tax statement?

This question might make me seem pretty naive, but 2008 was the first year that I did not bring in income. My husband filed an extension and he said he included my information on there, but I don't believe him. If someone does not bring home income at all in a given year do they need to file for "taxes" stating this? Or is it something that I don't even need to worry about since I didn't make any money to be taxed?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (11)
  • I do because the government child tax credits and other child incentives come in my name.

    Answer by hypermamaz at 11:15 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • your husband can claim you, im a tax preparer

    Answer by Dom123123 at 11:17 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • I think you just file joint. But you are a dependent I think.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • If you do not earn a income. You do not file income tax.

    Answer by louise2 at 11:18 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • We file joint taxes, so it does have both of our names on it even though I don't work.

    Answer by dedicatedrider at 11:19 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • i live in california so my advice may not be valid in your state but it is pretty standard as far as federal goes.

    if you made 3500 or more you hubby cannot claim you and you must file yourself
    u are considered his dependent and so are the kids, since he does work, and he will get all of the child tax benefits and refunds for your children.
    alls he needs is SSN's and personal info. like b-day, full name, etc

    if you made 3500 or more you may file jointly or seperatly, your decision

    Answer by Dom123123 at 11:21 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • You probably file a joint return with your husband so you should be on there. It makes your tax rate better if you file jointly, even if you have no income.

    If you earn below the poverty level then you don't HAVE to file, but like I said, the benefits are greater for you if you do file.

    Answer by beckcorc at 11:26 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • You should file jointly with your hubby. He can claim you as a dependant, the same as he can your kids. That way you make the maximum on credits and so forth. I have been a SAHM for going on 5 years and my hubby has claimed me as a dependant every year. All i have to do is give my ID, SSN and tell them i'm a homemaker when we go to file taxes.

    Answer by Ali-Rippy at 11:28 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • I am no sure why don't file a joint return with your spouse. The best thing to do is contact the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 - Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

    Answer by rkoloms at 12:03 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • tax preparer here. I'm not 100% what you are asking, but here are a few items that may help you figure it out.

    1. If you are married, you will most likely file a "maried filing joint" tax return. Which means both your income (including interest on bank accounts or any wages you may have) and hubby's income will be reported on the same return.
    2. You could also file married filing separate. Which means 2 1040s would be filed - one with just your wages and dedections and one with hubby's. Based on hubby's response above, I would guess he is filing a joint return for you guys (you are typically better off this way)
    3. If your income is below a certain level, you do not have to file unless you paid taxes on that income. Then it is beneficial to file so you can claim a refund. However, if you guys file a joint return, everything (or the lack of wages) would be filed on the one 1040. (go to IRS and look at the form)

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.