What are some good toddler meals for a 1yr old?

I went to a friends house recently and realized, I'm not doing my baby justice! His friend Lyla is one month older than him. She sat at the table on a booster seat and had a placemat and plate in front of her with chicken nuggets, noodles and raw carrots! Baron sits in a high chair, pushes his food around and plays with it, so I still feed him Baby 2nd foods to make sure he's getting his nutrients. I can't help but think I should be giving him more of these "real" foods, and making sure he's eating. Maybe I'm not as creative as I should be, but chicken nuggets and noodles is all I can think of!! Please give me some of your recipes for your kids. Aren't raw carrots too hard for baby's without mollers?

LilMuffinMama

Asked by LilMuffinMama at 11:56 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is 1 this month. he loves chicken, steak(tender like....delmonico), spaghetti, pancakes, sausage, waffles, tater tots, fish...... he eats everything. I usually put it in my mouth and if it is soft enough to barely chew or mush I give it to him. He had cinnamon raisin toast for breakfast today.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 12:21 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My 1 year old eats what the rest of the family eats. He loves table food and love that he can feed himself. He still sits in a high chair but has his food on plate on the tray. He loves spaghetti, french toast, eggs, ham, turkey, chicken, noodles, rice, broccoli, carrots, apples, bananas, plums, peaches, ect. Just try different foods and if he doesn't like it offer it again in a few days.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 12:40 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Here are a few links to websites for you to check out hon. There are sooooo possibilities of what to cook to give to your little one, I figured giving you the links would be better than listing it all. ;)
    http://life.familyeducation.com/page/39381.html
    http://www.ehow.com/about_4704013_healthy-foods-oneyearolds.html
    http://www.tchd.org/pdfs/feeding_one_year_old.pdf
    My son liked steamed veggies--broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, green beans, mushroom, green peppers, squash, zuchinni, peas, toast, pancakes, grilled cheese squares, yogurt, fruit--peaches, blueberries, bananas, pears, chicken, potatoes, spaghetti with tomato sauce, tuna, mac n cheese, rice and ground turkey or ground beef...and tons more but I'm sure you get the idea lol. I don't think I ever bought the baby jarred food past stage 2, even that was rare. I usually gave him whatever we were eating, just cut it really small. Hope that helps hon, take care. ;)
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 12:42 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• 1) There is very little nutritional value in baby food. It's watered down. give him real food if you want him to get his nutrients from food.

2) Fix a plate with whatever you are eating. If you become a short order cook now, you're going to battle it later.

3) Not all kids are ready to sit and actually eat without playing at mealtime at a year of age. It depends on how much the parents have worked with the kid and if there are any developmental delays.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• eats what we eat or you can do turkey sticks, cheese cut small, crackers, eggs, yogurt, pasta..the list goes on! :) try EVERYTHING before it's too late and you create a picky eater lol
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 1:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My 9 month old eats whatever we eat, I just cut it up small and put it on his high chair a few pieces at a time - he's not very proficient at always getting the food into his mouth yet, so I help some, but the practice is good for him. (he's only finger feeding - i do all of the spoon feeding still)

Answer by missanc at 2:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Actually, baby food is VERY nutritious. It is NOT watered-down. There is a small amount of water used in the cooking process and that's it. I hate people who are misinformed.

Give him small amounts of whatever you're eating. Don't make a big deal if he doesn't like it at first, and don't make him go hungry. I always try to make sure I'm serving at least ONE food my daughter likes. Food should not be used as a punishment or reward. If your child doesn't eat much at mealtime, offer him a snack later on.

Offer him very little amounts of food on his tray, and let him finish it before giving more food. If you just put a plate of food in front of him, most likely he will play with it.

You can give him a spoon to fiddle with while he's eating, so he can get used to using it.

Good luck.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My daughter is 13 months old and has been eating 'adult food' for some time. The day care told me the other day that they gave her SALAD; this surprised me, but it was just lettuce with a bit of dressing. She eats everything and anything, though there are some items to avoid like peanut butter and tomatos. There are a lot of great websites out there that can give you ideas. Gerber also makes "Toddler" meals for those who are crawling and starting to toddle. They are ready in the microwave in just 30 seconds. A great time-saver and nutritious. Start with cherio's and as your child starts to realize that he can pick up those little bites, he'll get more intersted quickly. Enjoy!!!
    TagBaby

Answer by TagBaby at 10:43 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Hmm, gerbers toddler meals, gerber graduates? NOT so nutritious. Check out the label on the back. Full of sodium and preservitaves. If you want to give baby pasta, I'd overcook it ( but my daughter is 10.5months and gags so I'm waiting on pasta) but your baby would do alright :) Good luck mama
    AbbeysMama

Answer by AbbeysMama at 2:48 AM on Aug. 22, 2009