loosing a job b/c of bad credit?

has any1 read that post on yahoo that said some jobs are going to do credit checks on people applying for them? I think that's b.s.!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Isnt that some form of discrimination? They might be able to do them but not as a basis for hiring I dont think. I have to agree with you.
    cinemagirl823

Answer by cinemagirl823 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Its supposed to be an indicator of your commitment to your responsibilities...though how are you going to pay your bills if no one will hire you..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I agree with anon :01. Employers might not want to hire someone with bad credit because it might say something about their character, but what if you're trying to get a job to make it better? Or what if you got laid off, weren't able to pay your bills, which ruined your credit. Then how do you get a new job to pay your bills?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• i've heard a lot of major retailers like target, walmart, best buy doing credit checks prior to hiring you. they don't want to hire anyone with bad credit in the sense they think if your credit's bad, you'll steal either merch or money. but that's just what i've heard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• This is nothing new. Financial services companies have been doing this for several years.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I think it's too much infringement on a person's privacy if it does not fit the job description. A pharmacy or nursing home probably would not hire someone with a history of felonies related to drug abuse. A bank or other financial service probalby would not hire someone with a lot of delinquent bills for fear of them stealing something. Reading about it makes me reluctant to look for a job because I had a bankruptcy in 2005. I'm looking for a job in the healthcare field, but still..
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:31 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• That's been going on for a long time. The good news is, lots of employers want you to sign off of a credit check but they won't actually do it. It costs too much money. Retailers mostly won't actually do a credit check; financial institutions definitely will. If you're working with old folks, disabled or children they will do a criminal background check. So unless you're in the financial sector, I wouldn't worry about it. Nine times out of ten the paperwork is just a formality.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 12:51 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• If you work for the government - state or federal in any capacity - you consent to a credit check. If you're hired for a job on a military post or for any federal gov job you have to complete a background check, credit check, and have your fingerprints submitted to NCIC. When you're hired, you further consent to completing a new background/credit check every seven years. If you're under a certain score, you can be required to do credit counseling and/or improve your score by a certain amount in a certain amount of time. If you don't do those things, you CAN lose your job.
    Seven years ago, my husband nearly lost his federal police job because of his credit score (it was in the low 400's at the time). Seven years later, he's improved his score by well over 200 points and we didn't have to worry about credit at all when he did his most recent security clearance.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Good thing not all jobs do that because my fam would be screwed lol. We are trying to rebuild our credit but as of right now it is all bad :(
    mamasitax2

Answer by mamasitax2 at 1:43 PM on Aug. 11, 2009