Unemployment: can we get backpay? (this is ridiculous)

When I was pregnant, I was on bedrest for the last couple of months, and my husband simultaneously lost his job. Neither one of us was employed for 4 months straight. The unemployment office gave my husband hell and said he didn't qualify unless he could bring in EVERY paystub for his last year of employment. Well my husband worked for a shady Indian man who wouldn't reprint a work ticket or anything. He never received unemployment and our family helped us to pay the bills and etc. until he found a job. Well now he has had a job for 6 months, and we just got a letter in the mail saying that NOW he is approved for unemployment. WTF? What the hell do we want it for now? Do they backpay or something?

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 12:00 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• If I were him, I would go in and talk to them and see what exactly it means. If he can get the backpay, then great, get it and put it in savings to use for another rainy day.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:11 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• He should call. He may well be eligible for benefits from that period.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Do not accept it without making sure it's legit. Accepting money for unemployment when you are working can lead to you being taken to court and being forced to repay it with a fine. My husband made a mistake on his final unemployment check statement which caused him to be paid for two weeks instead of the last one he was unemployed for. He got taken to court and we had to repay it. Because the judge agreed it was an honest mistake and a first offense, the fines was waived, but he still lost a days pay going to court.

Be careful with unnecessary unemployment. They will find out eventually...and no, they probably don't give backpay (never have in my husband's situation of going first 3 months without).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I completely agree with the last person... He can get taken to court and unemployment does not play games when it comes down to that money, especially now.. However... If your husband is working, he might still be eligible for assistance if he is working part time, per diem or not exceeding the income limits set by dept of labor... You should check out the website and see if he still qualifies.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 12:57 AM on Aug. 12, 2009