Do cats really always land on their feet?

I have decided that it is either a myth or my new kitten is messed up. She never lands on her feet. She falls off of tables and stuff and lands on her back.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• http://cats.about.com/od/catsafety/f/catslandonfeet.htm

According to this link....the answer is "usually"
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• LOL yes it is true.  Remember that your kitten is still a baby. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I guess kittens need to learn how to do it. Maybe it's like learning to walk, you mess up a bunch before you master the skill. I know all the cats I ever owned landed on their feet. I was cruel to our cats as a kid, I would drop them just to see how they would land.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:19 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• it just depends on how far up and the situation. if theres time in the fall cats are able to position themselves for landing. but as for a surprise or too close to the ground, it takes the cat longer to turn over. so your kitten is prob not landing that way when falling off the table bc its unexpected, and kitty doesnt get his barrings in time to turn with feet down.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 12:21 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I have seen mine jump off are neighbors trailer, and he doesnt always land on his feet
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• no, it's not. A cat is quite good at turning themselves over, but that does not mean they are guaranteed enough time to do so. They actually do better falling from higher distances, because they have more time to turn over.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 12:31 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My cat is an idiot. She never lands on her feet. I have yet to see her do it once. Plus she is so clumsy... haha I think there is something wrong with her, but we love her anyway.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 12:37 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I agree with the very first poster - usually but NO, not ALWAYS!!
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 1:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2009