What would you do if your husband or beau still had something from his ex?

well my husband has this cup from his ex girlfriend and wont get rid of it. for some reason that bothers me. and i am having a yard sale this weekend and i have it hidden in the stuff to go in the yard sale. should i tell him or no? i dont want to make him mad but he wont get rid it himself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• Yeah my husband has newspaper clippings from his ex from where she made Ms. Dance of SC. and had a few pic of her and him, one is framed and on the wall. It don't both me at all, he is mine now, married to me with a son and a DD on the way. Don't let it bother you, its just a cup.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• my husband's ex didn't leave him with much when she split. she took half of his stuff as well. i've found pics of them together but he kept them because the pic included their son. he's gotten rid of them since then tho.
    momsetsfire77

Answer by momsetsfire77 at 12:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Does he keep it because its from his ex or does he just really like the cup? I think i would ask him why he likes it and why he keeps it. And explain why it bothers you. I dont think I would feel right going behind his back but thats just me.
    cinemagirl823

Answer by cinemagirl823 at 12:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I think you need to have a frank talk with him because clearly this is bothering you and I'm betting there's more to it than a cup. Do you have trust issues with him or with this woman? Do you think there's a chance she might want him back? Is there some sort of jealousy going on here? Is there something about the cup itself that's offensive e.g. does it say "world's greatest lover" on the front?

My guy has some old stuff from ex-girlfriends like a pocket watch his HS girlfriend gave him for graduation. I would never dream of getting rid of it. Keeping it doesn't mean he's pining over her or anything, just that it's a nice gift given to him by someone that meant a great deal to him.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 12:50 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I would like to say it depends on the item but I wonder why anyone keeps stuff from a previous relationship. I don't. DH had some old pictures from a girl he used to date. He didn't remember he even had them until he came across them one day in storage. He got rid of them. Our thing is they are in the past and should stay there.

Of course everyone is different. I would just say to talk to your husband and ask him why he still has the mug. He might just like it. And it's not a popular thing to say but I can see why that would bug you. It would me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I found a sex tape he still had. Needless to say, that went in the trash before I even told him I had found it and put it in the vcr.
    Candice369

Answer by Candice369 at 1:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• It's probably just a mug to him. Go find one similar to it and give it to him before you sell the old one.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:25 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Could it be he just likes the mug not the person? Have you tried buying him a replacement one? I don't think people should keep stuff from their previous relationships, its rude to the person they are with. Keeps the attachment of the other person there. When my husband and I were still dating he had some toys from his previous girlfriend, stuffed animals you know. When he was in the room I took a knife and shredded them, of course I asked him first if he would mind me disposing of them. LOL
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 1:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I have a leather jacket my ex-fiance gave me for Christmas. I like it, it fits, why pitch it and have to buy a new one? I have some earrings another boyfriend gave me, but I rarely wear them. I don't hardly ever wear jewelry other than my wedding/engagement bands anyway.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I also have a leather jacket from a previous marriage but its so warm and comfortable that i don't want to get rid of it it comes in handy when its cold outside it doesn't remind me of my ex husband and if my Dh had a problem with it i would part with it in seconds after all its just a coat. You should really talk to your dh about this b4 you just get rid of it after all its just a cup.
    newmom183

Answer by newmom183 at 1:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2009