If I use the latch system for my carseat do I still need to use the seatbelt?

We are still rear facing for a couple months at least. My 1 year old is only 16 pounds so he will be RF untill atleast 16 months, if not longer. Is the latch system supposed to be used alone or do I still use the seatbelt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• no you dont use the seatbelt too, you use one or another, if you use both it can seriously hurt the child if you get in a car crash or stop really short.........
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Can anyone explain what a latch system is? Because as far as I know, the carseat is held in by the seat belt....right?? I could be wrong...
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• no seatbelt. Only the latch.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 12:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Nope, you only need to use the latch system, and it is WAY safer than the seatbelt anyway.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 12:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• The car seat comes with 2 straps on the base of the car seat that hook onto 2 LATCHES/ANCHORS that have been installed in your car for this specific reason. There should be a car seat picture indicating where the latches are on the car. Some cars do not come with the latch system, so a seatbelt has to be used. The latch system is easier to use and just as effective as a seat belt.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 12:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• srhmldndo... most cars now come with the latch system. There are bars on the back of the seat and and at the bottem of the seat near where the buckle of the seat belt is. The car seat has 3 hooks,, 2 near the buttom and 1 that goes over the seat and hooks on the bar on the back of the seat. All of the hooks can be loosened and tightened. They are safer to use than the seatbelt because they dont allow tte carseat to fall over or move forward in an accident (assuming you've made the straps tight). I hope that answered your question.
    AirborneBratMom

Answer by AirborneBratMom at 12:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Oh cool. I just looked it up. I wish I had a LATCH now, haha. But it said that the LATCH system and a seatbelt are EQUALLY safe. But not to use them at the same time.

http://www.ehow.com/video_4440673_how-latch-system-works-car.html
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:30 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• the car seats 3 or 5 point harness but not the car's seatbelt.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:05 PM on Aug. 11, 2009