my one year old is banging his head

it seems like when hes tired.First noticed it when he was on my lap opening his birthday presents and he was banging the back of his head into my chest,he was done opening gifts.Then today hes banging the front of his head into my knee,I got onto him but he came back and did it again.Hes not hurting me,but himself.

My big consern is because my brother is autistic.

Chrystal_A

Asked by Chrystal_A at 12:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i think it's normal. my son does it sometimes. he turned a year old 3wks ago. if ur worried about it- ask your pediatrician. i think it would happen alot if it was a sign of autism- not just every once in awhile.
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 12:21 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I replied in our group mama but like I said it's a way they can express themselves since they don't talk well yet. I would only worry if you start notice him doing this when alone or if he starts hurting himself seriously.

Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 12:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• drgreene.com had a detailed article about it. it said it was pretty common and had some signs to look for that indicate autism.
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 12:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• thanks guys!
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 12:32 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• my son does it during meals-he bangs his head on his high chair, but thats the only time, i hope its normal! seems like it hurts!
    CalebsMommy728

Answer by CalebsMommy728 at 1:56 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My son does it and he is a year and a half old. He mostly does it if he is mad. Like the other day he was mad because I was making his juice fast enough and head butted the T.V stand. First I put a pillow under his head and tell him to quit if that doesn't work I send him to his room with no T.V and then he doesn't get his juice. Those are a couple of suggestions. If you want to talk about just let me know because I do have a lot of experience with this. It will get better.
    branscummom

Answer by branscummom at 2:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2009