Urgent!! How bad is bad?

My DD has had a few spills now that she has been walking for a few months. The first couple scared the crap out of me obviously. But today, just a few minutes ago she wasn't watching where she was going and smacked the side of her head on the corner of her crib!! It immediately left a dent in her head and she screamed. I put a cold wash cloth on it right away, but now, maybe 15 min. later, it's an enormous lump. She seams fine. Not happy, obviously, but seams normal. How do you know when it's too bad. I mean, I know if she is bleeding profusely I'd take her in, but what about no blood but possible head trauma or..? How do you know???? I feel so incompetent!!!

DirtyMonkey

Asked by DirtyMonkey at 12:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• if theres now a bump its much better than if theres still a dent. if she's walking again normally, acting herself she's probably fine. if she's real sluggish, or acting unusual, you may wanna have her checked out. my lil boy is 8 months and trying to stand on his own, so is falling a lot on hard wood. so its hard to see our babies take spills, but they're tough, and it will take a lot to really hurt them. i doubt she was going fast enough to really injure herself. but you're the mom....if you're worried for any reason, i'd just call your dr and either take her in, or ask their opinion.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 12:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• call doc office
    but my daughter bumped her head bad!
    a purple egg was coming out !
    a very smart older mother told me
    the lump is scary, but it is when they bump their heads and the swelling does not show, like the goose egg would be swelling inside, so the noticable goose egg swelling is a good sign, dent into skull bad, egg outside good
    she explained better than i can and it made me feel better when my 1 1/2 yr old had goose egg on forehead

but call the ped office

and you are NOT incompetent, your child was exploring limits and tumbled, it happens
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 12:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• http://kidshealth.org/parent/firstaid_safe/home/concussions.html ~some quick info in head injuries.

I was just in the ER a few weeks ago because my son was running in my shoes, hit his head on the corner of the door jam and was walking around funny & bumping into things afterward. The CT showed nothing wrong, but with head injuries it is always better safe than sorry, especially if they are acting out of their norm.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 12:31 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• A good piece of advice my insurance agent gave me if you have health insurance. Look on the back of your insurance card because many insurance plan have a 24 hour nurse hotline. They will give you advice as to whether or not you need to go to the ER. And if they advise you to go to the ER, the insurance company is more likely pay the claim because their nurse told you to go.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:55 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• What did the pediatrician say when you called them right after the accident?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2009