Terrible two's already?

My son is going to be 1 this month, August 24. He has started having tantrums, he throws his body and screams and yells. He isn't crying, just yelling. It happens when he wants or doesn't want something or when he is tired or wants attention.

Why? What can I do to stop it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If your child is walking he can very well have hit the TROUBLESOME TODDLER stage. ...it's a whole spectrum. Not one specific year.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:33 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• my son started at this age too - he's only 21 months so they are getting tougher now
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:35 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• welcome to my world
    my toddler throws them and bangs her head!

all i have read suggests two majors things

1) hold and comfort them, saying calm things in low voice, over and over, holding and rocking until fit ends (this works for my sister and her child, but not with me, my DD hated being held and it made it worse, and she head banged into my head, throat, eye socket=did not work for us)
    2) make sure they are in safe enviironment and let them have fit (this is our option. I am close by so i can move her if she starts to fit towards furniture, I play some favorite toys out of her reach and i bring these fun toys out from the other room, so they are newish for her, i ignore her, and have a lot of fun, she will usually come over to me because i am having more fun than her fit and her fit is not working because i am ignoring (sometimes not easy to do) attention good or bad is attention, so i ignore
    gl and welcome aboard
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 12:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• i have some other moms who have toddler tantrums
    on my friends list
    ask suggestions, vent or just to have the knowledge that we are not alone
    sometimes it helps to hear other moms tell what they are going through that day
    add me if you like
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 12:38 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• did not come out the way i wanted
    but sounds pretty good (lol)
    moms who have toddler tantrums!!
    wouln't we all like to throw one once in awhile lol

boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 12:40 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• i just read this book "the happiest toddler on the block" by harvery karp. I am kinda a nut for those self help books :) but it was quite helpful. I have a 1 1/2 year old who is starting these tantrums too. and what i have been doing is what it says in the book. when he starts up with a tantrum, i end up confirming that i have heard and understand his request, it just isnt happening. so when he is screaming coookie..in the mall. lol i go i know you want a cookie, you are so mad mad mad, BUT we cant have one today, no cookie. and the tantrum is diffused. I thought this was total BS when i read it, but i tried it and it actually works. they said in the book that the yelling is because he doesnt hink you GET what he is saying, so he is trying to make you HEAR him...doesnt owrk for everyone, but DEFINTELY works for me :)
    sweetdreams1013

Answer by sweetdreams1013 at 12:42 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Ignore the fit. Its freakin hard to do but if its a real fit and not fussin cause he is hungry or hurt or something ignore it. At a year I would say "Ok when you are done throwing a fit you can come over and mommy will hug you" and then leave it at that. When they are older you can put them in another room and tell them they can come back in when they stop throwing a fit. Eventually, if you are consistent, they will realize that throwing a fit gets them no-where and they learn other ways of dealing with it. After the fit is over I always tell them that fits arent a good way to go and that i still love them. The more you pay attention to it the longer, more frequent, and worse it gets. They learn that they get attention and sometimes what they want if you pay attention to it or make a big deal out of it.

cinemagirl823

Answer by cinemagirl823 at 12:43 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Oh and if they are just really tired or hungry I try to avoid it and get them a snack or quiet time. Its hard for them to communicate their needs at this point and I dont want to punish them for being tired. I try to stop before its a full blown fit and figure out the difference but its really hard to do.
    cinemagirl823

Answer by cinemagirl823 at 12:44 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• If my kids throw a huge fit in a store or something (which rarely happens because she hasnt had attention paid to it since they were little). My hubby or I take her outside and let her throw herself down on the sidewalk and so go for it hahaha. Sounds mean but they learn real quick that it hurts to throw themselves down on the sidewalk. One skinned elbow is all it takes. I do this at home too if she bumps her head during it. I know im a bad mom
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• i really like confirming what the child is trying to portray but umm does that work with an 8 month old???? cuz mine has started tantrums too. i usually just let him have his fit and when the screaming calms down i will pick him up or give him a bottle (depending on what he's screaming for). i dont want him thinking that screaming is a way to get what he wants. and i'll be honest, i've worked in a daycare, and i think the terrible twos are no where near as bad as the 4's lol they get quite mouthy with their tantrums at that age haha....at any age tho, they have to learn that demands wont work with mommy and daddy
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2009