How do you socialize homeschoolers?

I am getting ready to homeschool my son for his first grade. I am very nervous that I may not be smart enough to do it and on top of that my son is very hyper. I am worried about him not being social. This fear comes from this week, I signed him up for a day camp at the park (granted there are a lot of kids there, and he has been out or regular school for a month) but he clung to me like he was drownding. Now I am wondering if I should put him back into regular school so that he can associate with other kids but I worry about the education level. I just don't know what to do. Can some one help me please?

bncurry

Asked by bncurry at 12:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in

• Why are u worried about the education level in public school if u feel u r not smart enough to teach him? It is ur choice, if u home school u can start a playdate with some kids from the school. But I would recommend public school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Exposing a young child to a lot of children that he doesn't know IS intimidating for a lot of kids. Try playdates with just a few kids at a time. Join a homeschool group. Get him involved in community sports like soccer or baseball.

Homeschooling for the first time is intimidating. You'll have good days and bad days. You'll question yourself plenty of times but just stick with it.

We have several homeschooling support groups here on CM. If you don't belong to one already, find one or more that you'll feel comfortable in and join!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:46 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• You can have him do recess in public schools with his friends. I homeschooled my grandson but he played with neighbor kids after school.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:25 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Join the CM groups Happy Homeschoolers & Secular Homeschooling. Lots of seasoned veterans, newbies, & in-betweens over there happy to offer helpful advice.

I would think he'd be just as clingy with you when you tried to leave him at school - so sending him back for that reason doesn't really add up to me. If he was clingy because it was a bunch of ppl he doesn't know, that's understandable & will fix itself in a few playdates.

Other social activities: support group gatherings, co-op classes, 4-H, scouts, community theater, volunteering, youth sports leagues, YMCA homeschool PE program, martial arts/dance/tumbling classes, library programs, & activities through your local places of worship.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:20 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• homeschool groups in your area (check groups.yahoo.com or try meetup.com)
    scouts
    lessons (swimming, art, music, etc.)
    community sports
    community activities
    library events
    the park
    indoor play areas in your town or city
    church (if you're Christian)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• There are homeschooling seminars and groups if you need help.
    Church groups are good for socialization and teach values.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 10:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• He may be more comfortable in small groups. When my son was little, small homeschool get-togethers worked well. Large groups of boys intimidated him, he was not a real rough and tumble little boy. Now he is quite comfortable talking to both adults and kids of all ages.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I am having trouble finding things for my three year old to do as well. Co-ops here are for older kids and we don't know any homeschooling families. We are going to start something at the Y, some sort of sports activity (although he is the most uncordinated child) and hopefully that may lead to other play dates or something. To be perfectly honest I am the only SAHM I know, so it's been difficult trying to find other kids for him to play with. He does go to story time at our library once a week and every other week our church has a children's ministry (of sorts, our parish is pretty small so it's brand new).
    tennisgal

Answer by tennisgal at 1:27 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• You've had some great advice already. There are so many things and places for kids to socialize...
    google homeschool groups + your location, look into cub scouts, all kinds of lessons (dance, karate, gymnastics, swimming, etc), sports (many towns and cities have recreational leagues for various sports), try the local YMCA. You can also search here on Cafemom, there are a lot of homeschool groups that can help with support and advice.

My oldest son is 9, ADHD, and used to have a lot of trouble socializing but now? He is a completely different child! He loves all the activities he participates in and has made a lot of friends (some homeschooled, some not). He has never been to a real school, he's always been homeschooled. I wouldn't change a thing, we love homeschooling and all the outside activities (this year we are doing soccer, cub scouts, webelos, AWANA's, and homeschool group activities. We're busy people. LOL
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 5:08 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Lots of kids would get clingy in a situation like that. That doesn't mean he won't socialize in other situations. In addition to some of the suggestions already mentioned, I often suggest that parents try to find opportunities for their child to socialize with kids that they automatically have something in common with. Our local libraries have clubs and activities for kids that are into all sorts of things - Webkinz, Pokemon, American Girls, chess, drama, etc. Having something in common right at the start helps kids break the ice. I also recommend that parents sign their kids up for things that the parents can hang around for rather than just dropping them off. It's ok for kids to rely on their parents as their go between for a few sessions until they make a friend or two. If you consistently go to a few activities he enjoys, chances are he will start to warm up & make friends.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 5:15 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

Next question in
friends.

Next question overall (Toddlers (1-2))
Terrible two's already?