If a child called you a name (fat, skinny, ugly, etc) and their parents weren't around, what would you do?

I had a kid tell me to lay off the cookies one time. I just rolled my eyes and told him to shut up and go away. In retrospect, I wish I would have done something more. Stupid kid.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 12:32 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• LOL, what a brat. I would probably tell him it is not nice to sepak to adults like that and he can can into alot of trouble if he even thinks about doing again! (obviously ur not actually going to do n e thing other than tell the parents) If I was me I would ask him if he would like a cookie, he would probably say yes and then not give it to him. Thats just me because I am a meanie.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I would have called the kid out on it. Told him how disrespectful he was being, and that he owed me any apology. If he continued, I would have taken the brat to his mother. If his mother didn't dicipline him, for it, I would just leave and feel sorry for the kid a while, because it would mean the poor kid didn't have a chance at life.
    I have taken neighborhood kids from in front of my house by the ear to thier homes many many times. About half of the time the parents got pissed at me (the other half the kids got diciplined appropriately), but the little disruptive brats don't play in front of my house anymore, so I don't really care who I pissed off.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 12:39 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I take those moments to turn to my son (because we rarely go anywhere with out each other it seems...) and say "I'm glad I've taught (am teaching you) to be better behaved than that rude little child so you can go further in life.".
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 12:41 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• hehehe not to get racial
    but my hubbys 2nd cousin grows up in a house where they generalize race , ie: caucasion people
    well Im half black and half white
    LOL well i dont use slang or anything and am not, what she thought, was a typical black person

anyway

this lil 6 or 7 year old looks at me and says: "you look white" with attitude I was all because I am half white...she was shocked I said so you were right good job, at this point i didnt realise she meant that in a mean way

a couple hours later she comes up to me and says " You talk like a white girl" I said oh really? why?

she's all "because of the way you talk" I knew what she meant, for I have biased family members on my side of the family too
    and I said do you know why you go to school? she says to learn...I said also to be able to talk like me..LOL
    I think her parents were talking about me thats why she said that stuff so I didnt get mad i just expl
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 12:44 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Usually when a child is acting up around me. Weather the parents are there or not. I will ask the child, "where are your parents". The kid will usually either point or say were they are. Then I say, " go over there and bother them". After that they usualy leave.

Answer by louise2 at 12:46 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I would probably laugh and say thank you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I rarely engage myself in verbal warfare with a child....most times it is not worth it. In the case of the cookies I might say something like "Is that a matter of fact?" and keep on walking....after all, that child does not really know if it were cookies or what I had eaten or what might have caused my weight gain (i.e., medical conditions, post pregnancy, etc). Many times comments like this have been overheard by ill-mannered adults. In the case of a neighborhood child, I would have no problems walking them home for their parents to deal with....I'll have to try by the ear. ; )
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• "accidentaly" step on his foot on my way to grab the cookie.

No really... Kids are unlikely to tell on themselves and most parents would not allow such a comment. My 13 yo step son makes these kind of jerk off comments even when we are around. I feel like I am constantly correcting his rudeness. For me I hope that when I don't catch him other adults call him out bc he needs to learn that there are consequences for having a rude, smart mouth.

If it was a little kid, I would probably nicely say "oh that is not a polite thing to say to someone"
    If it was a teen, I would straight tell him that "rude comments are not appreciated". I would have to restain my temper to not add "pimply faced twurp" to my reply.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Tell them that what they said wasn't nice.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 2:00 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• smack em in the head. haha jk. i would blow it off and laugh...
    maris1192

Answer by maris1192 at 6:10 PM on Aug. 11, 2009