How long should I dump my breast milk?

I ate ice cream last night forgetting how it upsets the twins' stomachs. I'm going to pump and dump my milk so they won't have tummy aches. How long do I need to do this to insure I'm no longer getting that dairy in my milk supply?

proud2Bmomma

Asked by proud2Bmomma at 12:40 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you should be fine. milk is made thru out the day. like i can drink and feed my baby within an hour andn he would be fine. you didnt even have to pump and dump
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:42 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Well I know that dairy can stay in your system for up to two weeks, but if all it was was one bowl of ice cream, I wouldn't see too much of an issue. Now if they are allergic, that is a different story. A lady in one of my groups had a baby that had an allergic reaction to some peanuts she ate, and her doctor told her to pump and dump for 48 hours. Luckily she had enough stored milk for her LO. I would contact an IBCLC and ask them.
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 12:43 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• wow that is awesome you are breast feeding twins!!! I admire you for that a lot of mothers use having twins as an EXCUSE to not breast feed!! Congradulations. All I can say is that it is absolutely wonderful your breast feeding. I have the same issue with my daughter (7 months) I have to really watch what I eat or it hurts her belly very bad and breaks my heart so I know how it is. All I can say is just next time watch what you eat but I know it can be hard :) good luck.
    HeidilovesNyla

Answer by HeidilovesNyla at 1:03 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• For one bowl? You can stop now. Be aware that dairy proteins can stay in your system for six weeks. But one bowl? I'd get back to nursing right now.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Agree with gdiamante.... Dairy can stay in your system for a month or longer...but only one bowl should be metabolized relatively quickly. You should probably be okay to start nursing again now. My second had a dairy sensitivity and it was sooo hard to stay away from things like milk, cheese, yogurt, ect...but, it's worth it in the end. We nursed for almost two years and by the end, those early days were but a vague memory :)
    PB_J

Answer by PB_J at 10:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2009