Is it true that, by drinking ice water throughout the day, one can speed up one's metabolism?

Several woman on this website have sworn by this weight loss aide. I know that drinking plenty of water each day is good for me. I know that my metabolism speeds up when my body is cold, as a natural defense. Is it possible then, that this ice water rumor could have some merit?

EternalChild86

Asked by EternalChild86 at 12:44 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I'm not sure about that. But it's possible. When you eat of drink something very cold, you body has to warm it up before it can digest it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Yes. Our bodies are normally 98.6. Put something colder in there and it takes a lot to heat it up. It works very well. I have lost 16 lbs so far, (not by just doing that) and I'm keeping on going.
    wilesmomma

Answer by wilesmomma at 1:45 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• eat many small meals throughout the day, and drink green tea, too.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 8:49 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I'm sure that this can help, but it can't do it all. You have to eat right and excercise too. And what autodidact says is true as well. Many swear by eating 6 small meals a day. And it has been proven that by eating you boost your metabolism, where as someone who starves themselves slows it way down. Subscribe to Women's Health Magazine, it's a great magazine and teaches you a lot.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 10:00 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• truthfully idk, but it would make you eat less bc you are drinking more water, plus you wouldn't have any water weight or bloating bc you would be well hydrated
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:15 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Yes, thank you, I do eat several healthy meals throughout the day and exercise on a daily basis. I was just curious as to whether or not anyone knew of any truth behind this "trick". I might take up the practice. I already drink several glasses of water a day, and (as far as I know) there is no harm in tossing a few ice cubes into them.
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 11:21 PM on Aug. 11, 2009