have you ever thrown a bday party for your child and no one show up?

my sons bday is coming up and we are trowing him a party on sat. and our problem is that we are still new to our area and have to family here and it's pretty hard for me to make friends my hubby is in the army so i just had him give invites to the guys he works with that have kids but it seems like everyone has plans so i'm a bit nervous about the outcome and am kinda antsy about getting to much stuff because in the end it may just be a waste of money......i'm torn i just want make his day special especially since his daddy will be deploying any time now aaah what to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• yes i invited my sons daycare...pretty much all of them and only one person rsvp but she didnt show when i took my son to daycare the provider told me that the mother said she was sorry her kids got sick...why couldnt she call me and tell me that?...but she got him a present and then i had on of my friedns come with her kids but she was late....whats wrong with people not rsvping or showing up late?.....but my son had fun there was tons of candy and a big bounce house with only 4 kids in it.......well good luck its hard to say what will happen maybe a lot will come or hardly any at all its hard to say.....his next b day i will plan different thats fur shure
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Yes! When my oldest turned 5 I invited everyone in his preschool class to a McDonalds birthday. 1 mom of twins rsvp'd the other 19 did not. NOBODY SHOWED UP!!!! I was beyond pissed! My family was there so that did help a bit the 'important' people were all there for him!
    Fate was smiling on my son a short time later-- his best friend from preschool showed up with his dad. The dad did not know about the party, they just happened to stop. He was nice and let his son stay and play. So for many years after that I just kept the parties 'family only'.
    This year my boys are 11, 13 and we have a party scheduled for Saturday for them. So far of the 4 kids invited (2 each) nobody has rsvp'd. I am hoping that at least 1 friend each shows!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:18 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• We have had a couple of birthday parties where no one (not even family) has shown up... We just tried our best to make it a great and fun day with our kids & didn't let them see how upset we were, so that they wouldn't get even more upset...
    So my best advice is, take a deep breath! If no one shows up, your son will still have a great day, kids don't take these things as hard as us adults do... Just do what you can and make it a fun day for him no matter what! Good Luck mama!!
    Inkedmommy007

Answer by Inkedmommy007 at 1:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• yes. You didn't mention the age of the child. I finally wised up and had the parties at the school. The teachers never had a problem saving a few minutes at the end of the day for it. You should make the day special by letting your child do something memorable with dad not with other kids if he is going to be deployed soon

Answer by admckenzie at 2:37 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• We've had it happen before. We actually ended up calling my husband's single childless friends who our kids know, and invited them over just to eat the cake and ice cream. I will say this, those guys are great. They even stopped at the store and picked up some cool toys for the kids.
    adove01

Answer by adove01 at 4:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• If your son is going to a pre-school or at the school, you can stand and ask the parents if they receipt the invitations and if they want to rsvp, I know this is a little stressfull, but if you have spent money on this, maybe this is worth it. It worked for me, I talked to the teacher and at the end of the day I greeted every parent I saw and I got some people to his party, I think that sometimes people need to know that you are making your best to make it work and they do their share. Good luck!!!
    fairymom526

Answer by fairymom526 at 4:35 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Something I do is to both put RSVP on the invitation and call a couple of days beforehand to confirm. Many people forget about a child's friend's bday party, especially if it is a child they don't see often or a classmate, etc., so a friendly phone call to confirm is a great reminder and a way to know for sure who will be and won't be there. Maybe you could call all the invitees and confirm their expected attendance so you will be prepared to switch gears if necessary?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 5:37 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I have never had a complete no show, but I planned a party one time on a Saturday in the Spring and a good number could not show up because of sports games. I now do them on Friday evenings or Sunday after 1:00 and have never had that problem again. Saturday seems like prime time!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 6:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Yes, This happened to my son on his 7th b-day. It broke my heart. We invited 10 kids, thinking I didnt want to have a full house. Well, no one showed up. Thankfully my sister and SIL were ther with their kids. The following year we had his party at a indoor jumpy place, invited the WHOLE class and some of my daughters friends too! He had 35 kids there and he was SO happy. Now, we make sure to go to every party we can because I never want a kid to feel that way!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Aug. 11, 2009