its not quite a question...just want some input on what u think...my baby scared me so bad last night i thought....

ok so last night around 9pm we went sleep my lil man who will be 6monhts on the 14th sleeps next to my bed in his lil bed.....well i went to check on him it was dark in my room so i put my hand on him....he was laying on his bellie cuz he rolls over....well i didnt feel him breathing....omg i panickd.....i picked him up really really fast....he was like a rag doll when i grabed him....i was yelling for my man to turn on the light.....when he did my baby was fine but he scared the crap outta me.....but i guess i do have a question.....ok how can or do u keep ur lil one from rolling over? oh yeah he was also on his face his head wasnt turned i feel like if i didnt check on him when i did my lil man wouldnt be here and the thought of that makes me cry.....should i tell his doctor about this? thanks for any input

mama2my2boys

Asked by mama2my2boys at 12:48 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• unless you sleep with your hand on him,there is nothing you can do to prevent rolling. the doctor is just gonna tell you to let him roll. just check on him and make sure his head is to the side.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:00 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• there are sleep positioners, but i dont know if they would work for a 6 month old.
    aguerra13

Answer by aguerra13 at 1:05 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Yeah I agree w/ piwife.. At that age if they are big enough to roll over they know enough to turn their head to breath. Your not alone ..my oldest twin used to do that too. She would get her face right up to the bumper pad and she would sleep like that. Other than getting some wedges ( Walmart or Babies r us) not much you can do.:)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 1:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Babies do have short periods when they do pause breathing. It becomes a problem when this period lasts longer than 20 seconds, then it's sleep apnea (been there, done that with my preemie) You probably just came in on one of those periods. He was a "rag doll" because he was sound asleep.

Consider, too, that breathing can become very shallow when they are soundly sleeping.

I'm not suggesting you're over reacting at all! I'd have flipped, too!!

The only thing you can do (and you CAN'T keep them from rolling over) is to try an Angel Care monitor. It goes off if it doesn't detect movement in a period of time. You select the sensitivity and time before it goes off. It is commonly used for apnea kids, also by some to help prevent possible suffocation. Others use it to "prevent SIDS" but it won't...that's a fallacy. (it's called "sudden" for a reason)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Aug. 11, 2009