IF you believe in a literal hell, do you think there are levels to it like in Dante's Inferno?

I quite like the idea of Hitler getting a pineapple shoved up his ass for eternity =]

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 12:50 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There is a great book to read called Divine Revelations of Hell.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• LOL! I dont' believe in a literal Hell, but I did find Dante's Inferno to be a good read! Once my friend and I found an online quiz to tell you where you would end up according to Dante's Divine Comedy... she was one stop up from Hitler, as I recall, mostly for being a serious atheist. I somehow made it to Purgatory (basically for being an okay person who happened to not be Christian!)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:53 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• No, the bible only speaks of heaven, and hell. No purgatory, no multilevels. May there be multilevels of hell? Who know. We are instriucted to add nothing nor subtract anything from the word of God..so what we read is what there is. Don't read in to it...don't take away from it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• There is actually no talk of "HELL" in the actual bible only in mis-interpreted versions. And no, most people don't believe in the 7 levels of hell... Personally I don't believe in Hell... But as I said in a past question no self respecting non-Christian could believe in Hell... It's yet one more tool used to insteal fear in to the populis and force Christianity upon them... Gotta love those crusaders!!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:02 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• The whole notion of hell never made much since to me, even when I was a Christian. No two people have the same idea of what it is, and like you said Sabrina, it's not mentioned in the Bible.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:10 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• The Bible talks about being saved through faith, if there is no hell, what are we being saved from? Misinterpreted or not, there is an opposite to "being present with God" and hell is therefore the "state of being absent from God." The traditional view of hell comes from various passages about eternal fire (found in Matthew) and burning. I personally don't ponder on the fire or burning part to be able to say without a doubt that this is a literal description of hell. To me, being judged in the presence of God and then having to be seperated from him from eternity is worse than any burning would be.

I don't go as far as to say that there are different levels in hell because I don't know. I assume that because each human being is different and has different sins and shortcomings that each human being may experience hell differently on their own accord. Whether that's considered "levels" or not, I don't know.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:11 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Which verses are misinterpreted and are talkig about something else other than hell?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I don't know if it will be like Dante's Inferno, that is a work of fiction not based on any real Biblical evidence. But the Bible does talk about there being varying degrees of punishment. This is one of the reasons I don't believe the wicked are anhililated.

People who have known God but rejected him will be judged harsher than those who had no knowledge.
    Jesus said, "Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works which were done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. But I say unto you, It will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon in the day of judgment than for you" (Matthew 11:20-22).

"For we must all stand before Christ to be judged. We will each receive whatever we deserve for the good or evil we have done in our bodies." 2 Cor. 5:10

cont.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:44 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Most of the interpretations of hell, fire and brimstone did not show up until AFTER Dante's Inferno was written.

I believe in reincarnation not hell. But if you screw up, you are doomed to repeat that mistake again until you finally learn not to do it again.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 1:45 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• The Bible talks about being saved through faith, if there is no hell, what are we being saved from?

From eternal death and from God's wrath which is a most fearsome thing.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 1:55 PM on Aug. 11, 2009