how can I tell for sure if my water has broken?

I am 38 weeks tomorrow, and I just got out of the shower and put on a pantyliner. I was going about my business when I felt a trickle down there lol. I went to check and there is some yellow discharge on my pantyliner. It is very thin and has no smell. I felt my vagina and it was very wet, the discharge looked like water on my fingers. I always heard if your water broke it would keep coming, but how fast does it come? And if that is what happened, will contractions follow?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• your water smells kinda sweet so it could of just been a uterine contraction..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Yellow is likely discharge.
    A.F. is watery and sweet-ish smelling. If it's green or black then it's call in, but yellow sounds like discharge.
    You can see if you soak a maxi pad. You can lie down and then stand (dislodging baby's head from the cervix/corking).
    No, you won't always have contractions right away IF your water breaks-- some women go for weeks.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:01 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• The only way to really tell for sure if go to your doctor or labor and delivery and let them test it. =) Good luck!!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 1:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• uhm if you dont have the baby within 24hrs of your water breaking you and the baby are at a very high risk of infection you cant go weeks..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Sometimes when your water breaks, there will be a gush. Other times, only a trickle, especially if the head is engaged and not allowing the passage of fluid. It could also be a very small hole and it can last for quite a long time, as amniotic fluid is regenerated. As long as nothing is inserted into the vagina the risk of infection is very low. The only way to know for certain is for them to test the fluid at the hospital. With my 3rd, I only had a trickle and didn't go have her for a few days and she was happy and healthy. Contractions do tend to follow if you've lost quite a bit of amniotic fluid. I hope that helps.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 1:20 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• "if you dont have the baby within 24hrs of your water breaking you and the baby are at a very high risk of infection you cant go weeks.."

This might be true for those having lots of vaginal exams.  But not so for those who put nothing inside the vagina.   There are some woen who even go months~  the leak might continue or it can reseal.

When my water was gushing I just stayed hydrated, sure, it got old after a week--  I knew contractions would have to start eventually, I had made it past my due date at least!  ;-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• You are only at high risk of infection if you have a vaginal exam and your water is gushing, but if you have had no exam and are only leaking then you can go quite a while. Heck the leak may even repair itself. Most likely though if it is yellow it is discharge and not amniotic fluid. As for having contractions right way not always the case. My water started leaking at 5 am and I didn't start feeling anything until around 8 am and was in transition by 1 pm and had the baby at 3:30 pm.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:45 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I have never heard of AF being yellow. It can be dark if there is mechonium in it but as for yellow... sounds like discharge to me
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:41 PM on Aug. 11, 2009