Moms with grand kids?

Do you give your kids parenting advice then get mad when they don't take it? I am just trying to figure out why my mom thinks she should be able to control how I take care of my son. My in-laws are the same way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't think it ever stops - we've been parents for years now and I still get it sometimes from my parents. My inlaws don't go there too much because they know better.... I guess my parents are slow learners - lol
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 1:10 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Yes I do give advice to my kids about their kids when they ask for it. Do I get mad at them for not taking it no cuz they were raised by me and know that they were raised well and that sometimes us old moms know what we are talking about. But I still wouldn't get mad at them for not taking my advice they are my kids, kids and they have to do what they feel is right for their families just like I have always done what I felt what right for them when they were growing up.My inlaws are both gone now but what I wouldn't give to here them say how they would do something. i know they wouldn't of been mad had I not taken their advice. Like they were Catholics and I do not believe in what that stands for so I wouldn't baptist my dd and they didn't like it but she's my child see I'm on both ends I have grown children but I also have a 7 yr old dd.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 1:43 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I rarely try to give advice. If I think something is crucial, I'll mention it ("Have you noticed that the little one walks with a strong limp?) But otherwise I just smile. I am reminded of a time when my children were little and we belonged to a play group. One mom, a nurse, dropped her daughter off and explained that the little girl had a swollen arm from falling on it but it was OK and was not broken. When she picked her daughter up I just had to say that I was worried about the arm. She called me back later that day and said that yes it was broken after all. So sometimes we need to offer opinions, not as a privilege of being grandparents, but as a human being who wants to make sure that they've thought of a matter.

Answer by Bmat at 2:02 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I give suggestions. Whether they heed my suggestions/advice is up to them

Answer by admckenzie at 2:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Well, before I had to take custody of them I did offer advice. They did take it usually. They would often call seeking advice on an issue. Then they failed to follow through. We were 1500 miles a way and had no way of knowing this until CPS called and said come get the grandkids or they go to foster care.

I don't really think any parent is trying to 'control' your child. I think they want to give you the benefit of what they learned already. Sure there are new methods. That doesn't always make the old methods wrong. Just different usually There are a few critical changes..but not many.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:46 PM on Aug. 11, 2009