Would you tell your brother?

My neice, who is a yr old, looks like she has DOWNS. I need to tell my brother they need to have her tested but I don't think they will. They don't take their kids in for regular check ups, just shots and sick visits. They use a regular doctor and not a ped. I know if she was my child I would wanna know if someone thought that something was wrong. So do I tell him or not?

antionette84

Asked by antionette84 at 1:21 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Health

• Why doesnt she go for well visits? Seems strange to me, are they hiding something? But if she has gone at all, I am sure they would have said something. Are the open to questions, or do they get offended easy?? I guess it just depends on if you feel comfortable saying something.
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 1:39 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Having Downs is apparent at birth.The chances of it going unnoticed by a dr either at birth or before leaving the hospital are just about nil. And certainly if she's been seen for dr appts since then it would have been diagnosed. They also do bloodwork at birth that would have caught that diagnosis.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Does she ACT like she has it?? That would be the deciding factor for me!! Good luck!!
    Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:44 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• It is best to stay out of it I know you are concern but if they are not worried why should you?

They will find out later there is not much they (the doctor's) or you can do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Even a general practitioner would be able to spot a problem like that. It could also be an eye problem- my brother had a lazy eye that was so bad my parents thought it was some sort of problem like that, so they took him in and got him looked at. You might suggest to your brother that he take her in to get her a wellness visit and see what the doctor says- but the chances of the hospital not having noticed already are pretty slim. What makes you think its that particular problem?
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 3:02 PM on Aug. 11, 2009