Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I get my doctor to agree to induce me?

To start out with I was induced with my first son at 38 weeks. Everything is wonderful and fine.

Now for this pregnancy I have had alot of bleeding. my weight has been doing alot of jumping. not to mention alot of pain. I had an ultrasound last week and the say my baby is measuring 9 lbs 13 oz. I am 38 weeks and my doctor is refusing to do anyting until I am 39 weeks.

Answer Question
 
Giggles132

Asked by Giggles132 at 1:46 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (25)
  • I think you need to listen to your dr. S/he, I'm sure, has valid reasons.

    Maybe your cervix isn't ready yet. Maybe your baby hasn't dropped. If the baby is high and/or your cervix isn't thinning yet, induction isn't going to do anything but cause a Csection.

    Call your dr & ask them WHY s/he refuses to induce. If they have a valid reason -- great -- listen to them. If you don't feel the reason is valid ---- don't know what to tell ya.
    Laura1229

    Answer by Laura1229 at 1:50 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • I'm sure you doctor knows what is best for you from looking at the ultrasound. If he or she felt it was time, they would have scheduled to induce.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

    Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 1:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • Your doctor may be concerned about the bleeding. Has a cause been found? If there is something wrong with the placenta and you are induced it could cause more problems than it would solve. I would personally wait until labor occured on it's own. My biggest concern is the mystery bleeding. Weight estimations are notoriously off, and even if you have a big baby there shouldn't be a problem.
    LisaPisa

    Answer by LisaPisa at 1:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • Oh, my doctor refused to TALK about induction until I made it to 41 weeks and I have a bi-corniate uterus which sometimes causes early labor. I didn't have my daughter until two days after my due date.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

    Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 1:55 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • I was induced the day i turned 39 weeks . i told my doc i was miserable and couldnt take it no more so he told me that day to meet him at the hospital the nexted day and that was thursday mourning at 3 am and he would have present for me but they usually half to have medical reason to induced . i had strep b ! Good luck wit ur second little one . My baby was born on my birithday June 18 w 8.1 and L 20 and 1/4 . I hope u get induced soon i know how it feels !


    Lyra's Momma
    She is a 8 weeks this thursday
    lyrasmom09

    Answer by lyrasmom09 at 1:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • She has no good reason to not to induce me she has yet to give me one. Because of the measurement on the ultrasound she is also trying ot push me into a c section. I told her no way am I doing a c section.
    Giggles132

    Answer by Giggles132 at 2:14 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • If your baby is nearly 10lbs and your doctor is suggesting a c-section then you might wanna listen. I had to have a c-section when I was listed as failure to progress. I imagine you want your "birth experience" to go a certain way but your baby may have other plans. Your doctor has your best interests and safety at heart. Ask her what her reasons are about leaning towards a c-section. Voice your concerns and talk about it. If you don't you'll only end up more livid than you are now and think your doctor isn't listening to you. Your doctor may be against induction since it does cause stress to the baby.
    lilbit022009

    Answer by lilbit022009 at 2:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • Be sure you know all you can about this situation.   Finding out the estimates doesn't mean it's fact, kwim?   (Induction is a very big deal for a baby in the womb.)


    You are wanting to add unnecessary risk to your baby, the doctor might not agree this is a safe choice. The weight, pain, fetal size are part of the deal, but the bleeding could be more concerning. But it looks like doctor feels that baby is safer inside than out, regardless of bleeding.


    I think that many doctors do tend to intervene whenever they feel they can. If yours isn't then it seems you & baby must be safe & fine how you are, just uncomfortable, fortunately.


    You can always seek a second opinion.  Another doctor or midwife might be more agreeable to your request.

    doulala

    Answer by doulala at 2:25 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • my mil was 14 yrs old when she had my df, she was a petite too, he weighed over 10 ilbs and came out vaginally so it doesnt mean u need to go straight to a c-sec just because ur baby is a little bit bigger hunny. i wouldnt want to go throught one either.and with my last baby i never dilated, effaced or dropped, i got induced and had a vaginal birth too...so what im saying is that with all u said u dont have to get a c-section...maybe sit down and really tell ur ob that ur in toomuch pain and cant do this anymore. hoping the very best for you!!! if u need someone to talk to u r more then welcomed to pm me.
    eSnA2008

    Answer by eSnA2008 at 2:49 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • u/s are very inaccurate about the baby's weight. it can be off as much as 5 lbs. so that could make your baby only 4lb 13 oz. i would just let nature take it's course. your body is meant to birth babies. and many women have birthed 10+lb babies. my great great aunt being one of them. her son weighed 15lb at birth, and she had him at home.
    mommytobobby

    Answer by mommytobobby at 2:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN