Do you think that people receiving government benefits lack someway of formal education?

I don't want start anything but I'm seeing so many post about public assistance and I would like to know if the reason to seek the services it is because the lack of an academic background of some sort.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• NO.Why are so many ppl so ready to bash ppl on pa.You know why I get fs,Because my kids get hungry and I cant do it on my own.Simple as that.I used to be embarassed until I came on cm and seen so many idiots making comments about it.Now I see that they are the ones who should be embarassed.
    Noone likes being on pa.I mean the nasty looks you get when you pull out that card is not fun. One of the great differances between the USA amd third world countrys is that we feed our hungry and clothe our poor.Quit bitching about it.
    kat247

Answer by kat247 at 4:05 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My neighbor had a community college degree, and was on welfare after her husband abandoned her and her two children so she could go to school to become an RN. So, no, I don't believe yours is an accurate statement.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I think at one time most of those people had no education and it was easier to get benefits than work. Now, I think that many people are out of work and really need the benefits.
    TheWAHM

Answer by TheWAHM at 2:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• no way. i have a bachelors degree! I received medicaid foodstamps and WIC during pregnancy but once my baby came and everything "expired" I was fine. my son is on a medicaid program. but it's not like we are abusing the system. SO is a hard worker..we just need a little help. nothing wrong with that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• If you don't want to start anything then don't ask questions like that, it's simple!!!

Just cuz people need help sometimes that don't make them stupid. You can be the smartest person out there with the best education, but if there are no jobs available or you loose your job and you can't make your mortgage, are you just going to give up and go live in a cardboard box? no, you will get help until you can get back on your feet.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:38 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I have a master's and received medicaid and food stamps. So your theory is invalid. Ppl use the system when it's needed, not bc of no formal education
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

Well if you must say so....but I'm finding out that I was all wrong. OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Just cuz people need help sometimes that don't make them stupid.

Stupid is way different than saying uneducated. Get your facts straight dear!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• A formal education doesn't automatically mean you will make a good living. Many people with no formal education have stayed off government assistance and some who had degrees have found themselves using PA.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 2:45 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Well right now I would say this is NOT true. With the economy in shambles many people who have college degrees are loosing their jobs and needing the assistance. Now that doesn't completely over ride the fact that there are people who have a HS Diploma / GED 6 kids and no job on assistance. But RIGHT NOW....it's not valid
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Aug. 11, 2009