Anyone homeschooled After public Schooling for years???

I'm seriously having issues with all that goes on in our public school lately - and now with my oldest DD entering the middle school (grade 7) i'm hearing even more 'bad news' from that school. My question is I'm sure my first grader would adjust fine to a change to homeschooling......but i worry that the 13 year old has just had too much time in the public school system to take to the change well.......wondering if anyone has done this after years of public schooling and how your kids dealt with the change.

JustGail

Asked by JustGail at 2:41 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My in-laws sent their 2 oldest children to Public school until they graduated. My husband, their third child attended Public school through 6th grade, and his younger sister went through I think 3rd grade, from that point on the two of them were homeschooled. In my husband and his younger sister's case, they didn't miss Public school one bit, they absolutely loved being homeschooled.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 2:46 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My oldest son went to public school through 4th grade. We just started our second year of homeschooling, and he loves it! He likes being able to set his own schedule (within reason, of course). He likes that we can take more time on the lessons that he has a harder time with, so that he doesn't feel so lost or have the pressure that he needs to master it within X number of days before a big test. He does miss his friend a little bit, but he talks on the phone with them often, and he's also making new friends through the groups we meet up with.
    amy_k_in_pa

Answer by amy_k_in_pa at 2:56 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I did. My oldest son went back to school after a year of homeschooling (his choice) and my 2nd oldest remained homeschooling.

With kids that age they'll really miss the interaction with other kids during the day unless they've been socially ostracized already in school. If your daughter has plenty of friends and enjoys the "social" scene of school you'll have to compensate. Encourage her friends to come over after school or on weekends. Give her plenty of outside activities to choose from, like dance, music lessons, etc.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:25 PM on Aug. 13, 2009