Surely I'm not alone on this...

I used to be a huge news junkie, but lately, I keep seeing headlines that have to do with dead babies, child abuse, horrible parents...you get the point. It may just be cuz I'm pregnant and hormonal, but does anyone else see these and just pass them over? I can't help but to think "I don't even want to know"

mmmommy0207

Asked by mmmommy0207 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• omg..you are so right. The psycho that ate her baby, the lady that drove drunk and kiiled THOPSE babies, and locally we had a guy throw his kids off a bridge!! I DO change the channel when those stories come on because my thoughts of those babies last moments are too much!! I REALLY wish they wouldn't report that stuff!!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:50 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I have just quit watching the news altogether. It is so depressing!! I would rather not know.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• not so much as baby deaths in my area, but I have noticed the local news reporting a lot of murders in my area, which I never really noticed before. seems like the news in general is nothing but bad stuff lately. I'd rather here about a 97 year old winning bingo lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Yes, the media hypes these stories. People need to believe that parents are generally incompetent, and in many cases evil... and NEED government oversight. That way, people will be less likely to protest when government passes laws that give them more control over the nation's children. After all, everyone knows that Big Brother knows best! ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• When I got pregnant, I did notice that my mental powers changed, that my imagination was more impacted by things which I had previously KNOWN about, but had not FELT.

After that, I could no longer read books which were wrenching (like The Color Purple) - I was too disturbed by them. My perceptions and reflections on life were now deeper and more comprehensive, so disturbances lasted longer and hurt more.

And it is a good thing to protect your heightened sensitivity in this way - your children depend on this in you ... it is what we call "a mother's intuition" and it serves you excellently well if you use it.

So, keep it open and warm with life - protect it from harshness and coldly clever or malevolent stories. Your instincts are right on !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:32 PM on Aug. 11, 2009