My son won't sit up straight in his highchair! Help!

We have a high chair we got from a friend. The padding is vinyl, which I thought I'd love at first because it's so easy to clean. But I have tried to adjust the reclining feature of the seat to straight-up, and my son still slides in it. He knows how to sit up straight, but whenever he is sitting in his highchair, he slumps almost right away and starts to fuss. I can't feed him in my lap. What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you can, roll up towels and stuff them in between him and the highchair. See if that helps. You don't say how old he is, but when my oldest first started using her highchair, I had to put a pillow in her back and towels around her to keep her up straight. After she learned to sit by herself, she was fine.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 6:15 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• learn to feed him in your lap or get a diff high chair. the obvious
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My dd was the same way, so I would feed her in her bumbo chair until she could sit in her high chair without slumping or sliding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Sounds like he needs something to help his tush from sliding on the vinyl. Perhaps you could try to put some of the foam like shelf liner on the bottom of the seat. I think one brand is called E-Z grip.
    momsc

Answer by momsc at 3:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• We bought an inflatable pad from IKEA that fits into the highchair. It is a U-shaped that cushions baby's sides and back and forces them to sit upright.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 6:55 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Thanks for the great advice everyone!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Aug. 11, 2009