Describe your day as a SAHM....

I am a working mom. I have a friend, also a working mom, who wants to quit working, and be a SAHM, because she thinks its like being on VACATION.

Can some of you SAHM share an average day for you?

WifeyandMom71

Asked by WifeyandMom71 at 3:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• wake up at 6, watch cartoons, give my son breakfast at 7, more cartoons until his nap at 9 then we sleep until 11 or 12, sometimes 1 if im lucky, feed him lunch, more cartoons until my husband comes home and grunts at me to get off of the computer and then proceeds to sit at his computer and ask it how its day was and tell her how beautiful she is, then even more cartoons, feed my son dinner and give him a bath, then read him a book and put him in his crib and then yell at my husband all night until he decides to go to bed then i take over the computer again until i decide to go to bed. wash, rinse, repeat.
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 3:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My kids wake me up anywhere from 5-7 am. Then I make a strong pot of coffee (only allowed 1 cup since i'm pregnant) and I put cartoons on for them while they eat breakfast. Turn the TV off around 10 and we go outside or go do something until lunch time between 11-12. If I'm lucky they'll take a nap at the same time from 12-2 pm. Depending on how the house looks I'll either clean, relax, or take a nap too. When they get up we just piddle around the house and I'll start making dinner around 4 or 5. My husband helps with the bathing/bedtime routine, and then we get about 2 hours of "alone" time before we're both exhausted and crash in bed, to start it all over the next day.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:15 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• wake up early, MAKE COFFEE, turn on tv, change diapers, make breakfast, clean up mess, clean highchair, wash dishes, put clothes in the washer, take clothes out of dryer, fold clothes, put up clothes, change diapers, sweep, vacuum, dust etc,..fix lunch, clean up mess, etc. try to get them down for naps, yea right,,clean up toys that are scattered everywhere for the 10th time, did I mention that I haven't bathed yet, I think I did yesterday....fix afternoon snack...try to get on computer for a minute to check email..clean up mess that I let them make while I was on computer...get ready for dinner, fix dinner, clean up mess, get their bath ready...I still haven't bathed.....get them dressed for bed...hope they go to bed by 10...put clothes in washer..blah, blah, blah......I hope she enjoys her vacation...
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 3:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• oh yeah and i was just being satirical, i'm big on satire. my days vary a lot depending on what mood my son is in
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 3:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• every day is different. since we have activities planned.. but a slow easy day (not often):
    8:30 wake up. CM. DD wakes at around 9am-breakfast... then i start cleaning while she plays. laundry. stopping to play with her/ discipline when needed.. About 11 time to start thinking about lunch. make lunch. eat. 12:30 lay dd down to nap-while she sleeps I get on CM or scrapbook. or nap with her if im really tired or work on something thats not noisy.. but her nap time is my "break time" usually ... she wakes around 2-3pm depending.. we usually do a craft or something for special time just for her..DH comes home around 4-5pm & its time to cook dinner. eat. straighen kitchen. showers for everyone. bedtime...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:37 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• No vacation here. We get up at 7 if not before. I get breakfast for my three year old, feed my baby, start the water for formula, move on to cleaning while DS watches Little Einsteins or plays. Then I start the laundry because there is dirty laundry ALL the time, make the bottles, sweep, make lunch. I hope DD takes her nap right after lunch so I can sweep and fold mounds of laundry. DS doesn't nap anymore so I'm chasing him out of everything and trying to have quality time with him while DD is asleep. Before I know it, it's time to make supper, feed the kids, wash dishes and pray I can get them in bed at a decent hour.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I forgot to say change diapers at different intervals all day and clean up toys 15 times or so just so I can walk through the house.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:30 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

i do that too!

pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 4:37 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• We have a schedule. Of course, it varies from what's written every once in a while throughout the day, such as when dd needs to nurse. I just added up my "free" time and it's one and a half hours. I take it in 5-10 minute breaks throughout the day, usually. I do have scheduled time to play with my kids, which is so helpful because I don't feel "guilty" for getting on the floor and building block towers and such.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 4:45 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Vacation? HA! I work harder now than I ever did when I was employed, and I had a pretty hectic job as a personal assistant to the VP of an insurance company.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Aug. 11, 2009