What can I use for my daughter's hair?

My daughters are bi-racial and recently my oldest daughter's hair texture has changed. It feels more coarse and frizzes easily. The only thing I can figure is puberty had an effect on her hair. Do any of you moms have any experience with this and suggestions on products to make her hair more manageable? I appreciate your help!

Happywith2girls

Asked by Happywith2girls at 3:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• just take her to a black hair dresser and they will show you not only what products to use, but how to wrap it at night and how to grease it. also, you don't need to wash it very often, that will make the problem worse. i think my hair is exactly like your daughters' (no, not all black ladies have a head full of bb's LOL). it's hard to manage, but don't be ashamed to ask a professional for help and they can also tell you some natural styles if you are not interested in a relaxer or using a flat iron
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:19 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Wow, I was just gonna tell you what I do for my bi-racial daughters hair until I read that her hair texture changed. My daughter is half black/half Asian so her texture is just like a caucasian womans with curls (think Shirely Temple). I use the same products most caucasian women use on her hair, suave shampoo & conditioner (cuz it's cheap) and Dove anti frizz cream to help tame the curls.

If her hair is now more coarse it may be time to use products for ethinc hair. Or what you could do is google bi-racial hair care products. At one time I did and there are some highly recommended ones out there but they are costly. I couldn't see paying such a high price for some and waiting for them to come in the mail so I kept trying products I could get at Wal Mart and Target that would do the trick and found out what works best for her hair. I would also suggest having a consult with a Ethnic stylist and see what she suggest.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 4:02 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• She used to have hair like you described for your daughter and my youngest daughter's hair is like that also. We have tried all kinds of shampoos, conditioners, and curl products, but she just seems to need more. Her hair texture isn't the same as a black woman's - it's like it's right in between - so I've been hesitant to use anything that I'm not familiar with. I don't want to screw up her hair as she heads into 7th grade, you know? I'd hoped, honestly, to find someone that had used and could wholeheartedly recommend some of those products. I appreciate your input!
    Happywith2girls

Answer by Happywith2girls at 5:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• i would go to a black hair dresser or a store that specializes in black hair products
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 9:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• In Chicago there is a salon that teaches black girls how to take care of their hair. Perhaps you can find a similar salon in your area?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:00 PM on Aug. 12, 2009