What should I do about my neighbors?

Since I've moved to my new house (around Febuary 09) I've had these neighbors that WILL NOT leave us alone. I'm not talking about wanting to spend time with us, I mean they are constantly knocking on my door wanting something. It started 2 days after we moved in "Hey can we have some butter?" I thought sure, they are probably just making breakfast and realized they were low-no problem. Then it got to the point they were coming once or twice a week-sugar, butter, your lawn mower, dish soap... I feel as if I'm a nice person so I never told them no, just gave it to them until not so long ago, I've had to start lying about having stuff and I actually have to sneak my groceries in that back door!
They have recently crossed the line though-asking for money. No I do not have money to give YOU!!!!!!!! AHHH!
Oh and did I mention that the "neighbors" are actually 3 kids *cont*

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• all under the ago of 10, none of them go to school and they are often left home alone while thier mother leaves for days.
    I've always said I would never get into others peoples business and call CPS, but they've kinda made it my business by turning my into the General Store.
    Its an everyday occurance now and my SO and I have actually thought about moving (which I hate to do, rent is low and this is an awesome neighborhood) I'm just so tired of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• If they are under 10 call the cops on the mother. They shouldnt be left alone like that/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• cut them off and call CPS...I know it sounds harsh but it's not your responsibility to provide them with food and money...if you're like us, we really can't afford to give out any extra.....good luck..keep us updated.
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 3:48 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Thats what I told them the other day I said "Look, I'm not trying to be mean but we REALLY don't have anything to give you, my mother buys us food because we can't afford to get it ourselves and what little bit we have we need to feed our daughter so we can't give you anything"
    Yes it was a lie, but it didn't matter, they were back the next day.
    What if I call CPS and they don't do anything?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Have faith that CPS will investigate. What if these kids are left alone all the time with no food? They'll investigate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• You can try calling CPS but that might not do anything. My cousins kids were bad like this. Their dad taught them to beg for stuff. He works as little as possible and gets everything through chruches and suckers who are willing to help because they think he *needs* it. ANything we go tot he store the kids beg for everything. I was thought otherwise, but they are encouraged. The more others buy them, themore the parents can spend on them. My guess, is you could try talkign to the paretns but they are probably hoping you keep giving in. YOu might have to be the bad guy and just say no and walk away. Stop answering the door, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Children home alone are in danger!!

Answer by rkoloms at 4:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Call CPS, children taht young should nt be home alone.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 4:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• you would be doing the kids a favor by calling cps.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:31 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• When you know the mother has left them for a couple of days, call the cops and the cops will call CPS - problem solved, hopefully.

For right now, simply say no and send them on their way- you don't owe them any kind of explaination. Do it often enough and they will eventually stop knocking on your door.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 5:30 PM on Aug. 11, 2009