How much caffeine can you drink?

How much caffeine can you drink in a day if you are pregnant... As in pop or tea not coffee..

Mandy211

Asked by Mandy211 at 3:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You shouldnt drink any at all. But most doctors will tell you one or two pops wont hurt you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I never drank pop i used to not like it at all and now i'm pregnant.. That is what i'm craving it's hard to stay away from it lol..
    Mandy211

Answer by Mandy211 at 3:30 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• you know, i drank a lot in my pregnancy (i mean i cut back but thats not saying much ;]) later someone told me that drinking caffeine can give LO colic and my son had BAD colic... i mean correlation isnt causation so i dont know but if i were you i'd stick with a diet sprite or ginger ale... or non diet if you prefer :p
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 3:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My dr said a few sodas was okay, but durring my first preg I didn't drink any. Durring my 2nd preg I drank some...not excessive, maybe a soda or two a day. My first child is mellow and calm and my second child is OMG HYPER!!! I don't know if the caffiene had anything to do with it, but I would stay away from the caffiene if I was prego again!
    bordprson

Answer by bordprson at 3:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• 200 mg (about 2 cups of cofee) a day or less is the recommendation. I try to avoid it completely though because it increases my bathroom trips (as if I don't go enough already!) and it just makes the baby even more active. I love feeling her move but there are times when she already feels like she is trying to kick through my abdomen.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 4:15 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I drink coffee and I'm 30 weeks....I know I feel horrible about it. But I keep it around 75 mg only every few days. It is bad for the baby, I know some studies say it's not and some say it is. But what got me to drink it a lot less was that it totally screws with the babies natural sleep pattern, and I don't want to have a miserable baby that never sleeps when she comes out. I've heard 150-200 mg a day is safe...but thats still a lot. You will have a baby addicted to it if you drink it everyday. And have you ever had caffeine withdrawels? THEY'RE AWFUL! Don't do that to your wee one.
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 5:32 PM on Aug. 11, 2009