Dilated?

Is it possible to check yourself to see if you're dilated?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I dont think anybody would be able to reach around their belly enough to see if they are dialated
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 3:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Yep, I did. I was instructed to put evening primrose in to my cervix as far as I could get it up there when I was already 5 cm dilated. But I would not advice you to check your own cervix... not only will you not know what you are looking for, you can cause infection!!

Kirsty... When I laid down full term with my babies, all I had was a teeny tiny pooch and I could reach past my belly perfectly fine
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:39 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• u had a teeny tiny pooch full term? Thats crazy I wish I did, I couldnt even maintain myself down there on my own. How heavy were ur babies? I mean to cheack a cervix u really have to push ur hand all the way just past the knuckle, and yes, I do not recommend it as it can cause infection and u may even cause other problems. But I would say it is very easy to find what u r looking for.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 3:42 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Kirsty... it wasnt a teeny pooch when I was standing up, when I was laying down it was. You could put your whole hand around the pooch. I was able to shave my area all the way up to the night before I went in to be induced. They were 5 lbs 7 oz and 6 lbs 7 oz
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:44 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• O see I had a 9lb baby so maybe that made a difference she was a big girl and I was did get pretty round.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 3:48 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• well, you can reach in and feel your cervix, but i'm not sure about dilation. you should avoid VE as much as possible (if you have a dr and are going to a hospital, usually there's no way to avoid it). having VE checks, esp after your water breaks, is building a very ideal ground for infection.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 3:50 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I personally could check my dilation. It was difficult though, and there is a risk of infection if you are not super duper clean. The cervix feels similar to the tip of a nose, and as you eface and dilate it gets spongier and you insert your finger in it, the number of fingers appoximates about how many cms dilated you are. There really isn't much reason for it though, as you can be not dilated at all and then boom! You're fully dilated.... it varies from woman to woman.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 3:59 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I agree with mommytobobby, avoid vaginal exams whenever possible, even with yourself... I don't really know why I checked myself besides curiousity, it is unneccesary.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 4:02 PM on Aug. 11, 2009