I guess I don't get it..

I was reading questions about when to start cereal and so many people say there is no nutritional value and it is just empty calories. I just read the box and here are the Daily Value Percentages(infants): Protein 5%, Vitamin A and C 0%, Calcium 15%, Iron 45%, Vitamin E 15%, Thiamin 25%, Riboflavin 25%, Niacin 25%, Vitamin B6 25%, Folate 25% Vitamin B12 25%, Phosphorus 10%, Zinc 20%
I don't know much about nutritional value, so that's why I am asking this. It just seems to me that this seems kind of healthy, but please explain to me if it isn't so I know. I am not being sarcastic, and please no TROLLS or bashing, I would just like to know if it is worth giving my child or not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think when they see "cereal", most people's brains automatically think of kid's breakfast cereals, which often ARE high in sugar and calories compared to their nutritional values. (ever noticed they are only "part" of a nutritious breakfast that includes additional milk, toast *and* juice?)

I know I had to read your question 3x before I clued in you were talking about baby cereal (*facepalm*). My bad.

Infant cereal is meant to be a supplement and a fairly bland way to introduce a baby's body to solid foods, which require a different tongue and mouth movement to eat (which is one reason they don't suggest introducing it too early. Babies can easily choke if they can't swallow the cereal).

Take a look at the ingredients of *any* cereal. One that's genuinely nutritious should not have any of the -ose's in the first 4-6 ingredients. (Fructose, maltose, sucrose, etc. - these are all forms of sugar.)
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• No idea
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• How old is your baby? Do you feel like he/she needs a little filler here and there between bottles? I'd wait no later than 6 months, and no sooner then 3 months. Don't worry about what the trolls around here say.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 4:41 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Sounds pretty good to me. Of course, it's not a substitute for formula or breast-milk, but it helps to fill him/her up. It's better than most regular foods. How old is your LO?
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 4:43 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• CONT: Ingredients in an item are listed in order of volume. The closer it is to the top of the list, the more of it occurs in the food. You shouldn't see them in your baby cereal (or if you do, they should be fairly far down the list.)

As far as the vitamins and minerals, a lot of the ones in cereal are "fortified", meaning they aren't naturally occurring. SOme people have difficulty digesting fortified foods OR getting the full nutrient value. (and in some cases, your body will simply flush away what it can't absorb at the time, so despite eating 100% of a nutrient, you may not actually "get" it all.)
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:56 PM on Aug. 11, 2009