I guess I don't get it..

I was reading questions about when to start cereal and so many people say there is no nutritional value and it is just empty calories. I just read the box and here are the Daily Value Percentages(infants): Protein 5%, Vitamin A and C 0%, Calcium 15%, Iron 45%, Vitamin E 15%, Thiamin 25%, Riboflavin 25%, Niacin 25%, Vitamin B6 25%, Folate 25% Vitamin B12 25%, Phosphorus 10%, Zinc 20%
I don't know much about nutritional value, so that's why I am asking this. It just seems to me that this seems kind of healthy, but please explain to me if it isn't so I know. I am not being sarcastic, and please no TROLLS or bashing, I would just like to know if it is worth giving my child or not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It seems other posters think you are going to feed cereal INSTEAD of formula or breastmilk. I feed DS cereal after his second bottle in the morning. I make a 4oz instead of a 6oz bottle and then feed a small amount of cereal afterwards. I'm not taking anything away from him because I make the cereal with formula also.
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 4:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Is that for oatmeal or rice cereal? I say there is some good stuff there, iron for example 45% a lot of adults don't get that much in a day. I think each mom has to decide for herself whether or not to give her child cereal, I got cereal in my bottle at 6 weeks and have had NO problems (and I was strictly formula fed), does that mean every child will be the same? No, but I plan on giving my little guy cereal when I feel he's ready.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 3:43 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Compare those percentages to that of formula or breastmilk.

Comparedly, there is no nutritional value in cereal.

Cereal isn't even a necessity to a baby...they go without it all the time. Now, a baby going without formula or breastmilk is a totally different story!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• That is cereal
    Anonymous

• Yes it is worth giving it to your child if he/she is ready to start eating solids. It's a very good thing to start with because it is not likely to upset your baby's tummy as much as some other foods. The cereal really helps the baby start learning how to eat something besides liquid before he moves on to more advanced solids. However, it's not a huge deal if your baby won't eat it because your baby will get all of what he needs from formula or breastmilk for the first 6 months or so.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Ounce for ounce, breastmilk or formula is more nutritionally dense than baby cereal. So, if they get full on baby cereal, it is not as nutritional as if they got breatmilk or formula and since they are full, they won't get as many calories and nutrients as if they just had the breastmilk or formula. I hope that helps.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 3:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Like another said, compared to breastmilk or formula, cereal is just an extra. Baby gets all he/she needs from the milk. But cereal does provide nutrients and is a good way to introduce foods as it's bland and can be think or thin as necessary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong with it...some people like to give their babies cereal because they say they feel like their babies are getting full..some moms says it helps babies sleep...I gave it to all three of mine in addition to breastfeeding and they're fine....just do what you want to..it's your baby....
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 3:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• There is no natural nutrition. It's all fortified/added to it. I see it as pointless, others see it as necessary.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• No one said there was anything wrong with it. Just that it isn't that nutritional. It's only for practice anyway. It's not supposed to be given for NUTRITION.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2009