Am I doing the right thing? Should I trust him?

I got married young (at 20). I was 1 mth pregnant at the time. (not the reason we got married). We seperated when he was 8 months old and divorced a month later. After the divorce, things got bad for a while. He'd call and yell and cuss at me, etc. NO physical violence Ever. He recently called me and we met to talk. He wants to try dating. take things slow, etc. He's trying to convince me he's changed, but I'm nervous. We were fighting because I was working 2 jobs and going to school and raising our son while he was unemployed and not looking for a job. I was also post partum for a while. I still love him and would love to have our family back, but not at the risk of my son losing his dad again. He's working now and has started to pay child support. I honestly think he's trying to change. But can he? I'm 22 and he's 23. I know that's young, but I had to grow up fast and am very mature for my age.

blondy2k5

Asked by blondy2k5 at 3:41 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• You don't have to jump right back in feet first. He's going to see your son anyway. He's working now and paying child support. I say that if you see changes and attempts to be a better man/father, then I would give it a chance. Every relationship is taking a chance, and if he has changed it could be a chance for happiness again....
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 3:46 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I think that it is possible he changed. He could have realized what it was that he lost. I think that he has the right idea though-start dating but don't rush into anything again. If you start dating--starting over. I don't want to say pretend that the past didn't happen-but just start over and take it slow. If you start dating and you realize that maybe it was for the best that you guys aren't together-then at least you don't have anymore commitment to each other than you already do.
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 3:49 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• People can change, but it is hard to tell how deep the changed attitude goes. If you want to pursue a relationship with him, I think you should give it a try. I would insist that things don't change for your son until you feel confident that he is going to be the kind of partner you want to keep around though.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• time will tell, take it slow

Answer by admckenzie at 4:21 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• maybe you guys should try couple counciling...and take it SLOW....
    cplayboyblonde

Answer by cplayboyblonde at 6:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2009